OpenWrt 21.02.0 - First Stable Release

3 Likes

What are you trying to say? I think the Gl-iNet developers know this.

1 Like

I feel that this site is more for the users of GL iNet products then the GL iNet developers, so someone passing on an announcement that a new major version of OpenWrt that runs on these devices is now available is a fine thing to post here. It is nice that the NAND devices like the AR300M and AR750S uses are finally supported by a released version of OpenWrt.

3 Likes

Talking about that I got my X750 a few days ago, should I just wait for an automatic update? Is it reccomended to update manually?

This is an announcement for the OpenWrt firmware which is different than the GL iNet firmware. GL iNet supplies a modified version of OpenWrt, and some of us prefer the pure Open Source version of the software for our GL iNet routers. If you are new to GL iNet, I would recommend you stay with the GL iNet firmware, and that you update to the latest version of GL iNet’s firmware as normally new routers come with an older version of the firmware.

1 Like

I tried installing the OpenWrt firmware on my router, but I bricked it around 10 days ago, fortunately I was able to recover it. Is there a guide to how to install the OpenWrt properly?

I don’t know of a good guide for loading the OpenWrt firmware on all the different GL iNet routers, as I have had to use different methods for loading the OpenWrt firmware on the different router types. For me, getting OpenWrt on a new GL iNet router normally takes reading both the GL iNet forum and the OpenWrt forum on information on how other people have done it.

I have the X750, I could not find something usefull of howto do it, maybe I flashed the wrong file, it was not a snapshot…maybe I am just too n00b for that yet

Download the firmware from OpenWrt Firmware Selector

Flash it via the original firmware or uboot, do NOT reserve settings and that is it.

1 Like

That did not work for an AR300M trying to get OpenWrt 21.02.0 NAND firmware to load with uboot, as the new uboot loader seems to look at the file extension of .bin and decides it is a NOR code load. Renaming the OpenWrt NAND .bin file to .img, and using uboot just bricked the router, so I ended up loading the NOR OpenWrt .bin firmware with uboot, then power cycled it enough times to get it to boot the NOR firmware, and finally used sysupgrade while running the 21.02.0 NOR firmware to load the NAND 21.02.0 OpenWrt firmware. Great way to blow off a day. It never is as straight forward as it should be and is different with everyone of your router types.

2 Likes

Should I download the kernel or sysupgrade?

I used the sysupgrade bin file.

1 Like

that’s the one that bricked my router last time…

1 Like

Just to add my experience with an AR750S loading OpenWrt 21.02.

I found that I had to use Uboot and load the “nor” .bin version and NOT keeping settings. I could then connect, log in (no password) and use the System > Backup / Flash Firmware menu to load the “nor-nand” version successfully. Loading the “nor-nand” with Uboot does not actually brick the device as you can simply go back and reload the “nor” version.

Alzhao, should I use the kernel or sysupdate image? I have the latest gl-inet firmware atm.

sysupdate is the correct firmware file

I am a new user of the router, received a few weeks ago, I am still in doubt if I should install the openwrt directly or go along with the GL.inet firmware, how long does it take in general to a new firmware fromGL.inet to be relased after the openwrt has been released?

It is hard to answer your question. Actually we prefer not to upgrade if firmware runs stable and without secure bugs.

After upgrading to openwrt 1907 we are still facing various issues.

Actually from product perspective, never upgrade the openwrt version and never upgrade kernel.

But on a security perspective, we should always have the latest version, right?

1 Like

Security can be fixed in the old version as well. You know that openwrt still upgrade old version to fix security bugs. So there is 19.07.x version.

There is always some trade off. Generally for new models we will try using the latest openwrt stable release.