PCVR Streaming with GL.iNet Routers: A Call for Community Insights and Mega Thread Creation

Mine does not have the auto restart issue… Having said that, I recalled there were 2 occasions that the wifi connection dropped during the very beginning of the gaming sessions, but once it reconnected, there is no more issue, except the latency issue.

Just to be sure, are you using the power adapter that came with it?

Hello Alex.

Sadly it is not a Wi-Fi radio disconnection but a full restart of the device. It also takes about 3 mins to finish the restart process, indicating there’s something odd happening, that triggered the restart.

I’ve tried with the original power adapter, a 100w PD one and (ideally) connecting to the thunderbolt 4 USB C port of my Alienware notebook (capable of powering on a full 4k monitor just by a single USB cable), so I don’t believe it is a power issue at all.

Thanks!

Hi ASchneiderBR . We have done some test based on your senario. And device works fine,Without any reboot. we also trace the current during the VR test, it’s only reach 1A. We will get the one you returned next monday. we will do some test based on that device.

1 Like

Hi @alex_zheng, I appreciate your response. I agree that 1a is correct, as I have verified it with a USB current meter. I’m eager to know how the Beryl you received works, using the same software setup. Please remember to connect it to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network as a repeater, so that it can access the internet and stream to the VR headset. You can do this by plugging it into the PC Ethernet port and letting the Beryl handle the DHCP and WAN functions. Thanks a lot!

Thanks ASchneiderBR. we repeater 5G WIFI for the recent test. Will try 2.4GHz when get the device.

1 Like

@alex_zheng Does this MT3000 Beryl AX Open Source WiFi driver firmware has any additional thing baked in that might solve the latency spike issue?

1 Like

It has some improve in WIFI driver. On our side it’s OK. maybe you can try it.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I’m excited to share my latest experience with the Flint 2 router, particularly in the context of PCVR performance. After extensive testing and recording a new video, I’m thrilled to report that the Flint 2 has become my go-to router for daily PCVR use.

The Flint 2 has consistently delivered exceptional performance. The total measured connection speed stands at an impressive 2400mbps. More importantly, the latency is outstanding, ensuring a seamless and immersive PCVR experience. This level of performance truly sets the Flint 2 apart in the realm of VR gaming and applications.

I have set up the Flint 2 as an access point, and the experience has been nothing short of amazing. The router is currently running on version 4.5.6 release1. I’m utilizing the 5GHz AX band, with a 160MHz bandwidth and medium power setting, which seems to be the sweet spot for optimal performance. I’m using HEVC 10-bit codec at 200mbps.

The Flint 2 has not just met but exceeded my expectations, especially in terms of handling demanding PCVR requirements. It’s a testament to the capabilities and quality that GL-iNet has infused into this router.

3 Likes

At least someone without Wi-Fi issues :smile:

What is your firmware version and any change in the settings?

@ASchneiderBR The router looks so stable in the video :grinning:

1 Like

Hello. I want to buy Beryl AX for Quest 3. Are there any updates about any performance issues?

Hello! It seems really stable with the open source beta driver: MT3000 Beryl AX Open Source WiFi driver firmware - #76 by mk4y5en - Technical Support for Routers - GL.iNet (gl-inet.com)

1 Like

Hi @ASchneiderBR, I’ve got a Quest 3.

Based on your experience would you recommend a Opal or a Beryl for PCVR. For me having a USB C power input is important for portability.

Hello. I recommend 100% the Beryl. I believe both routers are powered by an USB C cable.

I got the Beryl GL.iNet AX (GL-MT3000) Wi-Fi 6 Router for Meta Quest 3, Virtual Desktop. I set up 5GHz, 160MHz, Channel 44, am 2 meters away from the Router, connected to my Desktop PC with 1. Intel® 2.5GbE LAN chip (2.5 Gbit/1 Gbit/100 Mbit)

No matter what I do I cannot get the advertise 2402mbps on Virtual Destop, I only get 1200mbps, any help will be appreciated.

Greetings! Unfortunately, the connection does not reach the desired speed. However, this is not a significant issue, as even a theoretical connection speed of 866 Mbps is sufficient to sustain a stable 200 Mbps bitrate (H265). In reality, anything beyond that is a bonus, with 1200 Mbps being more than adequate.

Hi don’t know if this is the right place to post my issue , I am using my Beryl AX / GL- MT3000 for VR the same as you guys , having an issue with the Ethernet disconnecting , every now and then , have to restart router, anyone seen this problem before . Thanks Bill.

I had the same problem with PCVR with a brand new Beryl AX MT3000, after looking for help and checking this thread, i finally tried looking at the charts from the luci interface, and i found this (sorry for the legibility, i took the screenshot from VR and cropped it):

Essentially the bitrate is set to 50, eth1 (PC, LAN port) is uploading 50, wifi (rax0) is sending 150.

So, when the PC that is connected to the ETH1 (lan) interface starts uploading data at a bandwidth X, the wifi adapter sends the data at a bandwidth of 3*X.

So if i set the options in Virtual Desktop to stream at 150Mbps, the router will be moving the equivalent of 150 + 450 = 600Mbps in packages. I dont even know what the hell it was doing, but no wonder the lag increased proportionally to the bandwidth.

After updating the firmware to the 4.6.0 version (snapshot) from here , the problem fixed itself. I guess this confirms 100% it was a wifi drivers issue.

The 4.6.0 firmware no doubt greatly improved the situation.

Although I think I still noticed slight hiccup once in a while (after set bitrate to 35Mbps in VD), I’m not sure how much of it was due to my MT3000 or my Quest 1 headset being so old by now.
I did experience some hiccup too when I was using my TP-Link router but maybe just slightly lesser though I can’t say for sure.