Hi @alex_zheng, I appreciate your response. I agree that 1a is correct, as I have verified it with a USB current meter. I’m eager to know how the Beryl you received works, using the same software setup. Please remember to connect it to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network as a repeater, so that it can access the internet and stream to the VR headset. You can do this by plugging it into the PC Ethernet port and letting the Beryl handle the DHCP and WAN functions. Thanks a lot!
Thanks ASchneiderBR. we repeater 5G WIFI for the recent test. Will try 2.4GHz when get the device.
@alex_zheng Does this MT3000 Beryl AX Open Source WiFi driver firmware has any additional thing baked in that might solve the latency spike issue?
It has some improve in WIFI driver. On our side it’s OK. maybe you can try it.
Hello everyone,
I’m excited to share my latest experience with the Flint 2 router, particularly in the context of PCVR performance. After extensive testing and recording a new video, I’m thrilled to report that the Flint 2 has become my go-to router for daily PCVR use.
The Flint 2 has consistently delivered exceptional performance. The total measured connection speed stands at an impressive 2400mbps. More importantly, the latency is outstanding, ensuring a seamless and immersive PCVR experience. This level of performance truly sets the Flint 2 apart in the realm of VR gaming and applications.
I have set up the Flint 2 as an access point, and the experience has been nothing short of amazing. The router is currently running on version 4.5.6 release1. I’m utilizing the 5GHz AX band, with a 160MHz bandwidth and medium power setting, which seems to be the sweet spot for optimal performance. I’m using HEVC 10-bit codec at 200mbps.
The Flint 2 has not just met but exceeded my expectations, especially in terms of handling demanding PCVR requirements. It’s a testament to the capabilities and quality that GL-iNet has infused into this router.
At least someone without Wi-Fi issues ![]()
What is your firmware version and any change in the settings?
@ASchneiderBR The router looks so stable in the video ![]()
Hello. I want to buy Beryl AX for Quest 3. Are there any updates about any performance issues?
Hello! It seems really stable with the open source beta driver: MT3000 Beryl AX Open Source WiFi driver firmware - #76 by mk4y5en - Technical Support for Routers - GL.iNet (gl-inet.com)
Hi @ASchneiderBR, I’ve got a Quest 3.
Based on your experience would you recommend a Opal or a Beryl for PCVR. For me having a USB C power input is important for portability.
Hello. I recommend 100% the Beryl. I believe both routers are powered by an USB C cable.
I got the Beryl GL.iNet AX (GL-MT3000) Wi-Fi 6 Router for Meta Quest 3, Virtual Desktop. I set up 5GHz, 160MHz, Channel 44, am 2 meters away from the Router, connected to my Desktop PC with 1. Intel® 2.5GbE LAN chip (2.5 Gbit/1 Gbit/100 Mbit)
No matter what I do I cannot get the advertise 2402mbps on Virtual Destop, I only get 1200mbps, any help will be appreciated.
Greetings! Unfortunately, the connection does not reach the desired speed. However, this is not a significant issue, as even a theoretical connection speed of 866 Mbps is sufficient to sustain a stable 200 Mbps bitrate (H265). In reality, anything beyond that is a bonus, with 1200 Mbps being more than adequate.
I had the same problem with PCVR with a brand new Beryl AX MT3000, after looking for help and checking this thread, i finally tried looking at the charts from the luci interface, and i found this (sorry for the legibility, i took the screenshot from VR and cropped it):
Essentially the bitrate is set to 50, eth1 (PC, LAN port) is uploading 50, wifi (rax0) is sending 150.
So, when the PC that is connected to the ETH1 (lan) interface starts uploading data at a bandwidth X, the wifi adapter sends the data at a bandwidth of 3*X.
So if i set the options in Virtual Desktop to stream at 150Mbps, the router will be moving the equivalent of 150 + 450 = 600Mbps in packages. I dont even know what the hell it was doing, but no wonder the lag increased proportionally to the bandwidth.
After updating the firmware to the 4.6.0 version (snapshot) from here , the problem fixed itself. I guess this confirms 100% it was a wifi drivers issue.
The 4.6.0 firmware no doubt greatly improved the situation.
Although I think I still noticed slight hiccup once in a while (after set bitrate to 35Mbps in VD), I’m not sure how much of it was due to my MT3000 or my Quest 1 headset being so old by now.
I did experience some hiccup too when I was using my TP-Link router but maybe just slightly lesser though I can’t say for sure.
I've just created an account to post to confirm Xantyleonhart's findings.
I stream PCVR to a Pico 4 headset via a Tp-Link wifi 6 router, streaming 400Mbps h264+ with absolutely zero problems. I got the Beryl AX MT3000 as a portable alternative, and it could just about handle 100Mbps (not 100% smooth), but anything over that was unusable. The link speed would also regularly drop from 1200Mbps down into the 300-400Mbps range!
I was literally about to return it for a refund, saw this thread, and decided to try the 4.6.0 snapshot Xantyleonhart linked to, and this completely fixed the problem.
I can now use the Beryl AX MT3000 to stream at 400Mbps h264+, completely smooth, and maintaining the 1200Mbps link speed.
If the devs are still reading this thread: whatever change you made in the 4.6.0 snapshot firmware, make sure to include it in the next official driver release! Without it, the Beryl is useless for high quality PCVR.
And thanks so much to Xantyleonhart for posting about it!
Hello everyone. Just want to keep things moving here, so I've recorded me playing BS with the latest FW 4.6 with openWRT 24 beta on the Flint 2, I believe it is using the open drivers. Here's how it went:
The experience was perfect, good network latency, but still not perfect. I was getting some frame drops when using it at 200mbps, so I had to step down to 120mbps.
Thanks!
I recently bought the Flint 2 and Quest 3, for the most part it has been quite good, although I can still feel some ever so slightly latency spike and cause slight stutter but they are at a point where I can ignore most of them and enjoy the game.
My Flint 2 is running the latest beta firmware (4.6.0 2024-06-20 with MTK SDK).
Just recorded a small session of it:
@ASchneiderBR Not sure if it also happened with your Flint 2 but for my case, if I just restarted my Flint 2, usually the VD auto detected the bandwidth and shows 200+Mbps setting available.
But if my Flint 2 has been continuously on for few days with normal usage (e.g. browse web, stream videos, etc.), when I start the VD again, it will show significantly lower max Mbps, maybe around 120Mbps.
If I quit VD immediately and reopen it, it will show about 90Mbps max setting.
However, if I restarted the Flint 2, VD will show 200+Mbps setting is available again.
Congratulations on the gameplay video you shared, it really mirrors my own experience.
Regarding the issue you mentioned, I genuinely don't know what parameters VD uses to measure the bandwidth, and indeed it delivers a different number each time, even with the same setup. Because of this inconsistency, I usually disable the automatic bandwidth detection and set it manually.
As for the spikes, I experience them too. It's always important to remember that the final experience is the result of a pipeline where each stage depends on the previous one. So, if the game has a hiccup and delays the image rendering, this will consequently impact the rest of the chain, delaying the encode, network transmission, and decode. Therefore, it's challenging to pinpoint the exact culprit. For these tests, it's ideal to avoid bottlenecks as much as possible by setting the game's graphics to minimum to eliminate the GPU from the equation and focus on the network.
