Powering the router on the go

The aim of this thread is to discuss alternative ways of powering the routers on the go.

This is a thread created as a consequence of the the conversation in the thread " Opinions needed for our wifi 6 travel router! thinking" which seems to attract certain interest.

• Routers using micro usb or usb-c with 5V and <=2/4A (<=12W) do not represent any problem, as it is easy to find multiport chargers with independent ports. Power banks are also a solution for this routers, as most of them consume usually <=5W under normal usage (can consume >5W and <=12W with a usb drive and vpn connection serving wifi/network interfaces). They can even be plug to a usb-a port of the laptop!.
  • Routers using usb-c or barrel jack with 12V and <=1.5A (<=18W) can be difficult to power on the go. We have 2 options:
  1. Usb-c with PD, which can be powered via PD charger or PD power bank (usually <=12W if not usb drive connected).
  2. DC barrel jack, like the Flint, which can be powered via usb-c to dc jack decoy as any standard usb-c PD device. If consumption is <= 12W, a 5V —> 12V booster is also an option.

The issue of this topic is to discuss the best ways to power a 12V router on the go (<=18W), mainly thinking about >=12h of use per day, without suffering the resets of the device. Most of the Gan PD chargers renegociate the power after (un)plugging a device, which causes a reset in any non battery device.

2 Likes

Any suggestion about portable travel adapters, portable power strips or Gan PD chargers without renegotiation is also welcome.

1 Like

For me, not so much “on the go”, as something to set up when I’m at an AC outlet (apartment, hotel, train, client offices) that may be EU or US. Less interested in the powerbank aspects; I’ve got those but ready to move up to ones that charge devices, and are charged up, through USB-C PD.

I would add that ideally all the kit would fit into a single bag like that Gl-inet sells: travel bag.

At the moment I think the best option is to couple a GaN charger with passthrough of the mains, like this, with the standard Beryl charger. There are some that have two AC passthrough ports, too. This segment is developing rapidly.

In the same spirit, if Gl-inet were to offer a redesigned Beryl charger with a design that took up a single outlet and a passthrough AC outlet similar to the Hyperjuice, I would be interested in that. In other words, piggyback the Beryl charger on the GaN charger, or vice versa. Also, for convenience, one that didn’t have a dedicated cord but had a USB-C outlet for a cord.

Yes, with on the go I refer to hotels, restaurants/cafes in an airport waiting for a flight, train stations or any temporary locations in a trip (from 1h in a cafe to 24h in a hotel). I say we can consider >=12h to simplify all situations.

Beryl uses a standard Type-C, 5V/3A. I am quite sure real consumption is lower than 15W under normal usage. So no need to use the original power adapter. Any usb-c charger will work. Probably a multipor usb-a charger plust a usb-a to usb-c will work under common load. I refer to devices like
RavPower 6 port 60W or Anker 6 port 60W charger. Each port is independent and can provide <=12W.

I use that one for X750V2.

1 Like

I use one of those boosters for the Flint (GL-AX1800) and other routers I have like the Huawei AX3. They work very well for devices <=12W. Flint consumes 6W-12W with <=4 clients and working as repeater, so it is a good solution to avoid carrying the charger.

1 Like

This is the profile of a booster with the Flint and 2 clients playing videos 4K from Youtube.

In documentation, power consumption for Beryl is shown as <7W

1 Like

I use a battery or powerbank that has 1A and 2A channels. The 1A is for AR150 or MT300Nv2. The 2A for the AR750. It allows me to make adjustments to location or take it outside. Then I wrap it with a hair band or gaffer’s tape.

1 Like

I want to power the AXT1800 (5V/4A/20W) using a car adapter, is it possible and any recommendations?

1 Like

A 5V/3A charger will be enough. Most of them today are able to provide that.
Probably 5V/2A and 5V/2.4A will be also enough. But not tested in a car plug.

Really any decent PD charger shouldn’t shut power off when another device is plugged in. Bad design if they do. The RAVpower and Anker chargers I’ve used don’t have that problem (e.g.):

Maybe not that one, since it only has one PD port. We’re talking about the 65 and 100 watt GANII chargers with two, three or more USBC PD ports.

It runs just fine on the USB-A port. But in any event there are plenty of options with 2 or more USB-C PD ports.

1 Like

Useful on this topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/UsbCHardware/comments/r9r1nf/normal_for_usb_c_multiport_chargers_to/

It’s not required that they reset. But many of the chargers on the markets do it because its easier for them, and because they’re lazy.

Hah! True.

I have a RAVpower 2-port GaN brick which is very annoying about power cycling the USB-A port, so YMMV :frowning:

For those looking for portable alternatives, many manufacturers released recently travel adapters with many usb ports and 65W and 100W PD power. Easy to find on Ali/Amazon and many brands producing similar devices. I attach the ones I have tested for reference. I also use them at home when I do not have a power strip. Still have the issue of resets after plugging a new device, so recommend to plug non battery devices last.