[Product Request] Home router featuring a LCD screen & mesh networking

Do you like a home router that features an LCD screen and the ability to create a mesh network?
  • Yes, I do
  • No, I don’t

0 voters

Congratulations on the upcoming release of the Flint 2 router! I must say, Gl.inet always takes our feedback into account, and I just found out about this exciting news.

Now, I have to admit that I’ve been a big fan of Ubiquiti for quite some time. However, I recently made the switch to the current Flint router, and it has offered me a lot more freedom in terms of what I can do. With features like Wireguard VPN and Domain-based policy routing, it’s been a game-changer. In comparison, the VPN client on my Unifi Dream Router only supports OpenVPN.

Let me get straight to the point - I absolutely love the design of the Flint router, especially the antenna-less tower shape. It’s elegant and beautiful, just like the Unifi Dream Router with its small LCD screen. In fact, many networking companies have started introducing routers with a similar design. I’m confident that these products have been selling like hotcakes and generating high revenue.

Now, with the upcoming Flint 2, I have a suggestion. How about considering a compact tower router with an LCD screen that displays real-time internet speed and connected devices, just like the Unifi Dream Router, Amplifi Alien, or Xiaomi routers? The design of such a router is simply awesome, and users can place it on their work desks or in a corner of the room as a cool tech gadget decoration.

If you guys make it happen, it would be the first tower-shaped router running OpenWRT with a screen on the market - a true revolution! To keep the manufacturing cost down, you could consider reducing the power of the processor, RAM, or even the connection speed to 1Gbps instead of 2.5Gbps, like the Unifi Dream Router did. In a home environment, not many people have access to 1Gbps internet speeds, so it could be a reasonable compromise. Of course, if you can maintain those specifications at a low cost, that would be even better.

It seems like you have a great idea on Velica, but it does not have Wifi 6 and LCD screen! How about creating a Velica product line with a tower-shaped design and mesh capabilities? I know there are plenty of users eagerly awaiting the next generation of mesh routers. By incorporating the suggestions mentioned earlier, I truly believe you guys can bring forth a new era of mesh routers. It’s time to wake up this product line and make it a reality!

Here are some successful ideas from previous pioneers that you could consider.

So, what do you think about this suggestion? Would you be interested in a tower-shaped router with an LCD screen? And what other features would you like to see in the tower-shped router like this?
Anyway, I will be the first customer here who is ready to purchase the new router with that design :smile:

6 Likes

What a great idea! If you are the first customer who is willing to purchase this product, I will be the second one. Lmao! @alzhao
I see UDR is $199, Gl.inet is always find a way to create a good product with competitive price.

6 Likes

Let me put it in a different way: In a mesh system, we have main routers and nodes. Now, the nodes don’t need fancy LCD screens or powerful processors. All they require is a robust Wi-Fi capability to function as access points (APs). This clever setup allows you to effortlessly expand your Wi-Fi coverage. Pretty neat, right?
+1 Vote

7 Likes

Loads of gimmick just increasing power consumption and heat and with more bits that are likely to go wrong but that is just my opinion.

4 Likes

I’m currently using Flint, but I need this mesh router

• 1 Vote for you
7 Likes

Cool, another Velica with wifi 6 and front screen. :smile: I love this idea!

7 Likes

Let me understand this: you’d rather have a device with an increased price… so you can have a tiny display to point at when someone who doesn’t know the difference between Cat 6 & Wi-Fi 6 can be momentarily impressed by vacuous trend chasing?

I’d rather have RP-SMA on the Flint v2 than a postage stamp for a screen no one is going to look at.

2 Likes

I don’t think that small screen is useless man. You don’t look at it does not mean nobody look at it bro!

7 Likes

I feel there is a lot customization I can do with this screen display (: +1VOTE

5 Likes

Hey ‘bro’… just because you’re hooked on the blinky, blinky, flashie, flashie RGB crack that all you weak minded & even more weak willed ‘gaymerz’ are doesn’t mean your vapid appeal to novelty is anything close to sound reasoning.

Go ahead; keep pretending as if anyone is going to rely on such a stupidly small display for any sort of accurate, long term tracking or analytics.

Krist, you’re incapable of even articulating a properly formed sentence. Maybe you should start reading something other than comic books, boy.

#CONSOOOM

You forget that the more blinky blinky the faster it operates

In all seriousness, instead of a fancy addon that 30% will buy why not some smart app that gives you all the vitals that you can see on smart screens like echo shows (in addition to iOS, Android, etc). Having integration into other smart devices seems more of a useful gimmick to me. “Alexa - how much bandwidth am I currently using?”, “Alexa - what is my router temperature”, “Alexa - kick the kids off the internet”.

1 Like

Maybe add psychedelic lights that change with the real-time internet speed. :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously, my vote is that adding an LCD screen should be Number 999,999 on the GL.iNet priority list (Number 1 is highest). The other brands are likely 100x (or more) the size of GL.iNet.

4 Likes

I would like an LCD screen. It’d be nice. Display stuff like Wi-Fi speed tests, Wi-Fi password, etc.

3 Likes

Agree with you :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I would like to show QR code to connect rather than the password!

6 Likes

I don’t know the price of Flint 2 yet, but if there is a router with screen to monitor things and under $199, I will have one!

3 Likes

To each his own, but I’m with the opinion that it’s useless. In addition to what was mentioned (heat, power, processor cycles and price), this will need more customization in the firmware to handle all that stuff (I’d rather have the deves focus on fixing current problems than worry about supporting cosmetics).

I like that there’s only one LED on my Beryl AX, connected or not connected, that’s all I need to know, the rest I can find out if I want to.

1 Like

The LCD screen on my ASUS AX82U Gaming router is a nifty little addition that I didn’t know I needed until I had it. I love RGB, so I was initially drawn to the router’s sleek design and vibrant lights. But the LCD screen has quickly become my favorite feature. It’s so useful for monitoring my network, and it’s even more eye-catching than the RGB. I love being able to see real-time stats like my bandwidth usage and connection speed, and the screen is also great for displaying custom messages or images.

3 Likes

I smell the homophobia around here. It’s disgusting!

2 Likes

+1 vote for this idea

1 Like

Cool feature to add on Gl.inet products line!

1 Like