Real world experience with Brume 2 (plastic vs. aluminum)

Hello

Wondering if anyone has any real world usage to share with regards to Brume 2 when it comes to plastic vs. aluminum.

This article https://forum.gl-inet.com/t/are-you-interested-in-brume2-at-this-price/24618 seems to suggest that the aluminum would have a cooler internal temperature but that the plastic would feel cooler to the touch on the outside.

My question is, does that impact day to day use for either? I’m looking to have the Bume 2 function as a standalone VPN server at an offsite location, so wondering if I could go with the cheaper plastic version or better to opt for the aluminum version.

As long as the Brume 2 plastic is not a :fire: hazard when running 24/7, I imagine it’s viable for my use?

Thank you!

I can’t give a comparison, but maybe someone else could provide plastic numbers.
My aluminum Brume2 is running 85.4 degrees Fahrenheit in a room that is 70 degrees Fahrenheit. I scanned over the top and sides of the unit and that was the peak temperature.

ETA: CPU temp is about 98 degrees Fahrenheit per “cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp”

2 Likes

Thanks! Do you use you Brume 2 as primary router or do you have a specific use case for it that you could share?

I am only using the Brume2 as an OpenVPN (not used much) server and Wireguard server (remote access on phones and laptops as well as an always on connection to a storage site for cameras and such). I haven’t really stressed it too much.

1 Like

Thanks! This is pretty much what I’m looking to do too so this is good to know.

So far it has been pretty solid, but I haven’t traveled too much with it. My remote router is an X3000 over cellular. I have that configured as a wireguard client and openvpn client (not at the same time, manually switch to openvpn if needed). Can access both lans across the wireguard tunnel. I also have most of my family’s mobile devices set up to use wireguard (to access pihole while on cellular) as they want to. My Brume2 sits behind my primary home router with port forwards for OpenVPN and wireguard using the WAN port on the Brume2. Nothing in LAN side. I did have to create some firewall rules and check some of the WAN security boxes in the Brume2 to use the WAN side. Seems to work very well for me so far.

My ABS plastic version has just been delivered, do you want me to run any tests?

cnx software did a teardown of the aluminum version:

Thanks! The way you run your system is very similar to how planning to running mine as well, albeit my primary router not being the AX3000.

Do you mind sharing in greater detail of the firewall rules and security boxes you had to check to make this happen?

If you wouldn’t mind checking the temperature during normal day to day activities and when under load, that would be helpful. And if you find any performance degradation when it runs hotter.

For mine, I created a rule for SNMP to the device in Luci. By default all services on the wan port are disabled, so you may need to enable some for remote management, remote ssh, things like that. They are in the GUI so are pretty easy. If you need something custom, like SNMP, if you look at Firewall in LUCI you can see the ones created for the services in the GUI and do the same with the service/port you need access to.