I’ve been trying to get a Sierra Wireless 340U (Netgear/AT&T Beam) working with the AR750. I’m hoping someone can help me here as I’ve spent way too many hours thus far with little results. I’ve factory reset it a couple times now, tried to flash Rooter as it works with this device (which I quickly realized the build is for the wrong chipset and had to unbrick). A couple of things I observe:
It connects, I get an IP, and about 5 packets get sent out. Then it stays connected but no more traffic goes out.
If I set it to tethering, it does not work. It has to be in modem mode.
I don’t understand how to remove the tethering settings/reset interface settings. Now that I set it once to the USB modem, it doesn’t work when I try to use my phone as a hotspot.
Somehow it now is showing up in both modem and tethering connection information when it pulls an IP.
Firmware resets aren’t really feasible for traveling because you’d be constantly resetting every time you went to a new place. That would be strenuous trying to fix SMB protocols, recreate SSID, etc every time. If I delete the interface in LUCI I see your GUI rebuilds it so that’s perfect.
The sim works fine, it’s from my phone I use every day. Modem also works fine in my computer. It’s just when modem is in your device that there’s an issue. I’m tempted to use a different firmware if I can’t get it to work but I’d rather not. Do you have any suggestions at all? Not having the modem makes the device way less useful to me.
Yes, 2.27. Modem is fine, works in all computers. SIM is fine, works in computer and modem. It just doesn’t work with this device for longer than a few seconds. It stays “connected” but after about 5 packets, they start dropping, and if you wait long enough, there is no IP.
[ 160.329229] usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-platform
[ 160.440237] usb 1-1.2: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 9 but max is 0
[ 160.447940] usb 1-1.2: config 1 has no interface number 0
[ 160.473408] usb-storage 1-1.2:1.9: USB Mass Storage device detected
[ 160.500363] usb-storage: probe of 1-1.2:1.9 failed with error -5
[ 163.674413] usb 1-1.2: USB disconnect, device number 4
[ 164.039324] usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-platform
[ 164.170055] usb 1-1.2: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 8 but max is 4
[ 164.177634] usb 1-1.2: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 9 but max is 4
[ 164.185271] usb 1-1.2: config 1 has no interface number 1
[ 164.190856] usb 1-1.2: config 1 has no interface number 4
[ 164.204192] qmi_wwan 1-1.2:1.8: cdc-wdm0: USB WDM device
[ 164.210877] qmi_wwan 1-1.2:1.8 wwan0: register 'qmi_wwan' at usb-ehci-platform-1.2, WWAN/QMI device, d6:c4:d5:15:e6:bc
[ 164.244121] usb-storage 1-1.2:1.9: USB Mass Storage device detected
[ 164.258307] scsi host2: usb-storage 1-1.2:1.9
[ 165.263191] scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access Aircard Disk Drive 1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[ 165.279046] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
I just flash my RPi with ROOTer and that detects the modem as well. All other routers and computers seem to be able to use this device but the AR750. Unfortunately, no other firmwares have been compiled for the device or I’d just switch.
Ok, sorry for the millions of replies. I finally got it to work. I had to install kmod-usb-serial-qualcomm (qcserial driver). Then I had to switch to ttyusb1. Your web interface doesn’t work to connect for whatever reason. I have to go into LUCI and manually hit connect on the interface.
Edit: QMI works too. I had to install luci-proto-qmi and kmod-usb-net-cdc-ether. I then built the connection in your interface and rebooted. Then I removed creds and set auth to none and made sure it was set to boot on startup. Finally I rebooted and it was brought up automatically. QMI is definitely ideal so I’m glad I got that working too.