Something wrong?

hi
i have not been using the router for several months, i have the slate
now i will need it as i am spending a week abroad in a hotel, and i forgot how to use it…

to start with when logging in the shell through putty, and trying to use ls command i dont get any file or directory.

how can this be? i have the latest firmware

thanks in advance

when you login as root to the device you end up in root home directory which is /root

if you run ‘ls’ there are no files or directories there by default.

Thanks
Could you please let me know how do I access from root to where the directories are located

$ ssh root@192.168.8.1
root@192.168.8.1's password: 

BusyBox v1.28.3 () built-in shell (ash)

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 -----------------------------------------------------
 OpenWrt 18.06.1, r7258-5eb055306f
 -----------------------------------------------------
root@GL-AR300M:~# ls
root@GL-AR300M:~# pwd
/root
root@GL-AR300M:~# cd /
root@GL-AR300M:/# ls
bin      etc      mnt      proc     root     sys      usr      www
dev      lib      overlay  rom      sbin     tmp      var
root@GL-AR300M:/#

Thanks
I also managed with cd …

Now I have to remember how to mount a usb to use it for casting videos.
I hope to manage

Enjoy your trip :slight_smile:

Hi cbx200,

I do not know which router you have, I have the “GL-MT300n-V2” with the new firmware v3 update. If you add a USB Stick or USB drive with multimedia files like videos, I think it will automatically mount the drive and set them as shared for wired connections (share via lan), and you can go into the router’s menu Applications - File Sharing and enable Wireless sharing (share via wan) as well. I also added the minidlna application plugins (minidlna, luci-app-minidlna, luci-i18n-minidlna-en (english)) to turn this mini router into a portable travel media server which works really well for me (see link below). After connecting the USB Stick or USB drive you may have to reboot the router.

My recent post

GL-MT300n-V2 firmware v3 update

This is what I had to do before the firmware v3 to get minidlna working with firmware 2.26
looking for dlna for gl-mt300n-v2
(Looking for DLNA for GL-MT300n-V2)

Have a good trip…
Phil (phd21)

thanks a lot Phil
I dont have the minidlna application plugins installed, i will try them
best

Hi cbx200,

You are welcome…

Which router do you have?

I do have to reboot the router using the button or the router’s menu option for a USB Stick or USB drive to mount and its content to be available. I do not know another way to do that except that maybe in the advanced menu selecting to restart the minidlna. It would also be good to know how to unmount the USB drive If I wanted to switch it or just remove it without powering it off.

Also for whatever reason, every now and then the connection seems to get disconnected, but I can just start a video again and search to where I was in the video. I wonder if this is caused by some power saving function or if it is because of something else? Minor inconvenience. Does anyone know how to prevent that?

I have been extremely impressed with this mini portable router so far.

Again have a good trip…

Phil (phd21)

dlna implementations vary widely. many of them are crap and will crash out like you’ve seen. some servers work better with some clients.

I suggest using another protocol if you can. regular CIFS/SMB is good. I am using a webdav server.