Spitz 5g with Att

How does ATT know that you are using this modem? From the IMEI or something else?

You can refer to this post to change your modem IMEI to Net gear’s and try to connect again: IMEI change - #18 by alzhao

I will later write a full detailed post about it. In general I used Ethernet cable from my PC to the modem then I disabled many unneeded functions using AT commands. Lastly, I disabled unneeded network functions in openwrt and enabled other useful ones like NAT offloading …

1 Like

I am having a similar issue trying to get 5g on the x3000. If I try apn nrbroadband I get no connection at all. Only apn broadband works but I’m only getting 4g. Once in a while the cellular page will say 5g but it is not. There seems to be an error somewhere?

You’re right the the page has error sometimes shows 5G while it is really connected to 4G. But once you check the “Cells info” like what you did, you can confirm.

As for the APN, you need to check your Internet provider. Some providers have different APNs for different customers.

Are you sure you have good 5G signal near your location? If yes, the modem should be able to connect to it automatically. Also, upgrade to the latest beta firmware as it is more stable.

I have verified apn with the provider. Other people have no problem getting 5g in the same location. I have contacted customer support @ at&t and they assure me that 5g has been provisioned on this line. It is included with my plan. When I try using nrbroadband apn I get the following…

And I am on the latest available firmware.
The main reason I upgraded to the x3000 was for the 5g so this is getting frustrating.

Please try APN of Phone or Enhancedphone. We used these two APN with the ATT card in past month, and it works fine.

Those are apn for phone plan. Those don’t connect at all. I have tablet plan which uses broadband and nrbroadband for 5g

We went to ATT store and asked for a sim-card for the 5G Router, the clerk sold us such card and told us to use the APN of phone.

How you get the tablet plan, from ATT store also? Perhaps we need to buy the same card and test it.

It is the $20 stand alone unlimited tablet plan. You have to ask for it specifically. Not all reps know about it.

Thanks a lot. We will check if can buy such plan from ATT store.

If anyone cares, I think I figured out my issue. For this business wireless broadband ultra plan you are forced to use 4g and not 5g. I was finding the device kept trying to connect to 5g and by doing so it caused att to disable. I blocked all the 5g bands and now it seems to work. It’s definitely a bit slower l, but at least I get “unlimited” data capped at 100mbps. Let’s see if it sticks.

Thanks for this information. If you use this card in Tablet or phone, what’s the behavior? Also need to use 4G not 5G, and what’s the bitrate?

I know this is an older post, but I just received the Spitz AX, called ATT and gave them the new IMEI. I had to do a “Manual Setup” and set the APN to “nrbroadband”. I am getting the 5G connection based on the symbol in the UI. I am outside of Chicago and it seems to be working. I only get about 100 down and 50 up, but at least I am able to get connected.

1 Like

Interesting, maybe they added support for the device. Can you reboot and see if it still maintains connection? I was always connect first time, but once I lost connection and reconnected it would disable my account.

Oh an also what plan are you on? I was on a specific plan that was a business account with no data cap, but a speed cap of 100 Megabits

Yes, when I am connected and then do a reboot, it comes back up and connects me to the tower without a problem. I am on an ATT prepaid plan. Here is what it is… (I don’t believe this one is being offered anymore though)

I got mine to work on 5g and the only thing i see different on my setup is the port.
Try changing to the /dev/xxx_QMIO port option and not the /dev/xxx_DUN port.
Using that and the APN Name “NRBROADBAND” got it working for me.

I got it working myself waiting in queue trying to get support for an hour.
I thought i would have to get the IMEI of the spitz allowed but it was just the APN name. Everything else is set to default. (i had changed the port at one point… trying everything… and once i changed it back with the 5th APN name i tried… it worked.) HTH DFW, TX.

My case, i’m using a sim from a netgear nighthawk mr6.
Now running with 5g speeds in my spitx-ax3000.

@SpitzAX3000: Thank you for the information provided in this tread. I recently purchased a Puli AX (GL-XE3000) and I’m working to configure the router with an AT&T unlimited tablet plan SIM card I added to our wireless family plan. I used the IMEI from an old AT&T Samsung tablet I own and fixed the XE3000’s IMEI to reflect the old tablet’s IMEI. According to the tablet settings, the APN for this table plan is “broadband.” So, I updated the router’s APN to “broadband” with a TTL of 64. All good to this point.

With these settings, I’m able to access the internet through 4GLTE+ under bands b2, b12 and b66. However, even though the tablet plan I have is an unlimited 5G plan, I’m not able to pick up 5G signal at our house (located a few miles away from the Miami International Airport). This could be attributed to a lack of 5G cells aiming towards my neighborhood. Furthermore, the 4G+ speeds I’m getting at my house are way below 100 Mbps download and less than 25 Mbps upload with the VPN switched to off (see today’s results Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test). To compare, my iPhone 14 was picking up 5G+ signal last night less than a half a mile away from my house with recorded speeds between 566 and 580 Mbps download, and 44.4 and 41.9 upload.

I know that the potential for this router are well above the capabilities of other 5GNR Wi-Fi 6 routers in the market. I’ll very interested in attempting configuring this router following the steps you used to set up you Spitz AX router, with hopes of getting at least one third of the speed your are witnessing on your router after your updates. Would it be possible to get the document with your step-by-step instructions? Please let me know if further information is needed from my end. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

@jlramirezrodriguez Is your old tablet 5G-capable? If not, you won’t get 5G with AT&T, only LTE. Also, the APN used on 5G tablets is ‘nrbroadband’ That APN will only work if you have a 5G tablet attached to the account.