Tailscale

openwrt now offers tailscale in its repositories and i have installed it on my home router. can we get it for gl.inet devices please? i am happy with a manual installation but a gui based installation is always a treat!.
i have seen a tutorial online for doing this on a mango but i failed on my GL-AR300M Series / Shadow and my gl-mifi. anybody had any success ? how?

1 Like

I have now got it working on my GL-AR300M Series / Shadow - once i corrected my mistake of using the arm instead of the mips branch! but i continue to fail in my gl-mifi! grateful for any help!

Don’t have experience in Tailscale. Is it modified wireguard?

started reading about it. I was wondering if tailscale for openwrt is a client connecting to google&microsoft tailscale accounts or stand alone client and server all in one.

@alzhao It is indeed based on wireguard but it creates a flexable network with selectable end points. it is realy simple and really good! vpn for dummies! and changeable on the fly.
@viajeros yes thankyou! that is what i used to setup the shadow but no joy on my mifi complains of no space so i have tried an sd card and mounted it as an overlay but no joy.

you setup an account, that account is verified by Microsoft login or google login or by email verification. your space on their server creates the routs, out going coms so no port forwarding needed.

can you give some detailed instruction s please? I think we need to add the right repository to openwrt and then install the package, right?

Well i downloaded the ipk file from the repository (mips) and installed it as no repository was available.

Thanks, I now went the same route and uploaded the ipk files ia LuCi and configured tailscale ia command line.

Looks, ok-ish but I don’t see the tailscale interface in Luci, not sure if everything is firewalled, etc.

I guess there’s way more work to do :slight_smile:

yes no luci on this! just ssh in and run tailscale enable and tailscale up and you will get a link.
older gl devices have an older repository with no tailscale ! you have a newer on so no issue! i think there is a command plugin if you dont want to ssh in.

thanks I got it running. Can I ask a few follow-up questions, maybe somebody can help.

It looks like I need to add the tailscale interface to a LuCi interface so somehow create a firewall traffic rule to allow ssh in from my other tailscale devices?
I don’t want to allow ssh in except via the tailscale interface.

I usually know my way around firewalls I’ve just never “looked behind the scenes” on a gli router. (I have a 750s if it helps).

Could someone share what else they did with the taislcale interface where they have added / bridged it to and what rules/routes/forwards you have in place to properly use it?

I’d laos like to be able to access the gli and/or LuCi interface via tailscale and not expose it to the wan.

have you created an account at tailscale? coms are out going to the tailsale server so normally no firewall magic is nessasery. you need to be in a shell and issue the cmd tailscale up, you will then get a link to follow and you add the device to your account

Has there been any developments with this being supported by the UI? I’d still like this officially supported.

no but have a look at this install guide for the mango

Thanks for that link. Think I may have seen it before. Correct me if i’m wrong, but doesn’t that guide require effectively reformatting the device to only have Tailscale set-up on? e.g. LuCi and normal GL iNet interface, related controls, etc would then be gone i’m guessing?

If so, then it’d be far better to have official support for this, so that isn’t necessary (and a user can still take advantage of everything else GL iNet routers offer).

Thank you.
I’m going to test it. Here in my country I have some difficulties to keep VPN or some encrypted tunnels running for a long time.
:+1: :+1:

there really should be an official package…

There is an official package now! These messages are old and we have moved on. So if there is enough memory available you can install

Yes but what I meant is an integration to the GL.inet Admin menu. Tailscale lives from simplicity so that’s where it needs to be,