"The client is starting, please wait..." every time I try to connect to Wireguard

I’ve tried advice online such as switching only to UPD, using different wifi connections from my home router etc. My intention is to use wireguard as a VPN for travelling, but I’m currently still in Australia.

Here’s the configuration [but i’ve tried many different variations of this]
[Interface]
Address = 10.20.0.2/24
DNS = 64.6.64.6
MTU = 1420

[Peer]
AllowedIPs = 10.20.0.3/32, ::/0
Endpoint = [private]:51820
PersistentKeepalive = 25

Sat Feb 24 23:52:00 2024 daemon.notice netifd: wgclient (27385): Warning: fw3_ipt_rule_append(): Can’t find match ‘connmark’
Sat Feb 24 23:52:00 2024 daemon.notice netifd: wgclient (27385): * Zone ‘lan’
Sat Feb 24 23:52:00 2024 daemon.notice netifd: wgclient (27385): * Zone ‘wan’
Sat Feb 24 23:52:00 2024 daemon.notice netifd: wgclient (27385): * Zone ‘guest’
Sat Feb 24 23:52:00 2024 daemon.notice netifd: wgclient (27385): * Zone ‘wgclient’
Sat Feb 24 23:52:00 2024 daemon.notice netifd: wgclient (27385): * Set tcp_ecn to off
Sat Feb 24 23:52:00 2024 daemon.notice netifd: wgclient (27385): * Set tcp_syncookies to on
Sat Feb 24 23:52:00 2024 daemon.notice netifd: wgclient (27385): * Set tcp_window_scaling to on
Sat Feb 24 23:52:00 2024 daemon.notice netifd: wgclient (27385): * Running script ‘/etc/firewall.nat6’
Sat Feb 24 23:52:00 2024 daemon.notice netifd: wgclient (27385): * Running script ‘/etc/firewall.swap_wan_in_conn_mark.sh’
Sat Feb 24 23:52:00 2024 daemon.notice netifd: wgclient (27385): * Running script ‘/var/etc/gls2s.include’
Sat Feb 24 23:52:00 2024 daemon.notice netifd: wgclient (27385): ! Skipping due to path error: No such file or directory
Sat Feb 24 23:52:00 2024 daemon.notice netifd: wgclient (27385): * Running script ‘/usr/bin/gl_block.sh’
Sat Feb 24 23:52:00 2024 daemon.notice netifd: wgclient (27385): * Running script ‘/etc/firewall.vpn_server_policy.sh’
Sat Feb 24 23:52:00 2024 daemon.notice netifd: wgclient (27385): Failed to parse json data: unexpected character
Sat Feb 24 23:52:00 2024 daemon.notice netifd: wgclient (27385): uci: Entry not found
Sat Feb 24 23:52:00 2024 daemon.notice netifd: wgclient (27385): cat: can’t open ‘/tmp/run/wg_resolved_ip’: No such file or directory
Sat Feb 24 23:52:00 2024 daemon.notice netifd: Interface ‘wgclient’ is now down
Sat Feb 24 23:52:00 2024 daemon.notice netifd: Interface ‘wgclient’ is setting up now
Sat Feb 24 23:52:00 2024 user.notice firewall: Reloading firewall due to ifdown of wgclient ()

Which VPN provider do you use?

I have been trying to connect to Wireguard

So Wireguard server at home and wireguard client on the travel router?
In that case you must think about these:

1. You can’t test while you are connected to your home network. You should test by using tethering for example.
  2. Make sure that your home router is reachable. Is it behind another router? Then you need port forwarding.

Thank you for your responses. Yes, I’m trying to get up wireguard on the home beryl router and my client beryl router for traveling.

I have connected to my mobile hotspot when trying to connect the client to wireguard so that it is not using the same wifi connection and it doesn’t work.

Yes, my server Beryl router is behind my home router, and I believe i have set up port forwarding sufficiently.

BTW I edited the original post to include my current configurations if that helps. Thanks

Could you please double check that your wireguard server is reachable using UDP 51820?
So the port forwarding needs to be correct.

I have used the 51820 values twice for both WAN and LAN ports when setting up port forwarding and have set it up with UDP and there does not seem to be any issues on that front :frowning:

Hi Mariam, Im having the same problem my log is identical to yours:( I use it for my job while abroad - worked great for a few weeks and now it just decided not to connect and has gone yellow. It goes blue for a few hours then goes back to yellow again lol If you find a solution please let me know and I will also let you know if I find a solution to this… email address: [redacted]

That’s because these logs don’t tell anything. They will be the same even if the connection will be successful. (At least until Interface ‘wgclient’ is now down)

So to understand what is happening here it needs more details:

1. Did you change anything (like fw upgrade?)
  2. Is your DDNS entry working?
  3. Is your VPN provider - if used - working? Is the server reachable?
  4. Try from a different device directly - does it work?

It works - everything is done correctly - but it randomly disconnects
Its been working for weeks
2 slate ax 1800s
1 connected to UK ISP HOME
other with me abroad
port forward is setup correctly - I did it again today and wireguard server started blue light for about an hour , then randomly turned yellow and disconnected
I was using it fine today fro about 40 minutes - I had my home IP address then all of a sudden went yellow and that was the log^

It would be interesting if there might be some issues with the ISP itself. Do they throttle or disallow VPN?

I can’t figure out why it would go yellow when it is already working. If I never got it to wok in the first place clearly there is a mistake in the setup - but If its working then by itself just decides to randomly stop working what is the possible problem? I just cant figure it out

I dont think so - I use EE ISP in the UK big well known company they even offer me the VPN option on my port forward rule - I can use that instead of TCP/Udp both and ti still works but then disconnects after a while - yesterday it was on for about 10 hourss before the blue light went yellow and before that it was active for 3 whole weeks with no interruption

Hmm, I guess it will be difficult to find the root cause. You might need some monitoring to see if the WAN connection itself is the issue or just the wireguard connection.

Do you use PersistentKeepalive = 25 in your config as well?

Yes i do
the configuration is automatically generated
I use port 51820
10.0.0.1/24 ipv4
I add profile take the configuration with (ddns):51820
I pop the configuration into wg client and it works so many times

could it be wireguard is just messing up themselves?

Is it possible the port forward works but then the EE ISP blocks the traffic and thats why it disconnects?

Or maybe the ISP of the wireguard client where I am is blocking the use of wireguard?

Please keep me updated if you find a solution, I’ll do the same for you. Also can I ask what guide you used to set up wireguard in the first place?

I just watched many youtube videos and figure it out - its been working for many weeks and now just keeps disconnecting randomly. But I use 2 GLINET SLATE AX 1800 routers - its so easy to set it up and it works aswell but Im so lost now that it keeps dropping the connection randomly

90% it is the server side port forward is not set correctly.

Pls send these info with screenshot to our support email: support at glinet.biz

1. Wan status of your isp router
  2. Port forward setup on your isp router
  3. Wireguard server setup on glinet router.
  4. Pls make sure you test the Wireguard outside your isp network.