Torrent killing connection on GL-AR750S

My GL-AR750S works well except for one very annoying problem. My torrent client (Mac laptop, Transmission app with stock settings) seem to kill my internet connection.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Power up GL-AR750S
  2. Connect GL-AR750S to internet (in my case usb tether phone hotspot)
  3. Connect client laptop (macbook) via WIFI
  4. Browsing (internet, email, etc) all work at this point
  5. Start Transmission torrent app (with in-progress downloads)
  6. Transmission app starts downloading then bandwidth drops to zero within 20 seconds
  7. All internet on laptop now dead
  8. If I plug phone (usb tether hotspot) directly into computer, all works as expected, Transmission works

Trouble persists through full reset and reconfigure of the AR750S. Stock settings except for changing password and WIFI network name (ssid).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Could be you ISP blocking torrents. Does it work when not connected to you phones hotspot. Does it work when using a vpn?

If you set the torrent to only allow SSL connections, and you use a non-default port, there is no way whatsoever to block torrent traffic.

What you might want to try is to increase the maximum peers and/or maximum connections. It is common for torrent peers to throttle or block you if you do not seed back to the community. Make sure you do allow uploads, and that you do not have bandwidth throttling enabled or set too low.

I’m confident it isn’t the ISP because Torrent and the network in general works normally when I use my usb hotspot phone directly with my computer, rather than through the GL-AR750S.

Maybe it’s the same issue as in this thread with another router model running torrents:

That was a great thought, but it didn’t fix it for me. I started watching the logs while I started Transmission (torrent client). The internet immediately died, and I got the following log message:

Sun Jan 23 17:06:49 2022 kern.err kernel: [  371.214396] ipheth 1-1:4.2: ipheth_rcvbulk_callback: urb status: -79

When I google for this, it seems to be specific to usb tethering mode with ios devices on linux. I tested, and the problem doesn’t not happen when connected to the hotspot via wifi repeat, rather than usb. The usb tether feature was broken in previous versions of the GL-AR750S firmware, and was only fixed last year. My hypothesis is now that it isn’t fully fixed, and breaks under the conditions created by Transmission/Torrent.

1 Like

So it seems that iphone usb tethering has bugs.

Very sad to report I’m getting the same error after upgrading to a GL-AXT1800 Slate AX Wi-Fi 6 router.

kern.err kernel: [ 129.117794] ipheth 1-1:4.2: ipheth_rcvbulk_callback: urb status: -75

1 Like

Does this work only when using Torrent? Or it happens when watching videos etc?

This is a known error in the ipheth module that causes a buffer overflow. ipheth: fix EOVERFLOW in ipheth_rcvbulk_callback · torvalds/linux@63e4b45 · GitHub

It looks like it was fixed in kernel 5.17 so we might just have to wait until the firmware is updated to a openwrt base that uses 5.17 or later.

1 Like

Nice to have the clarity, thanks. I wonder how long it takes for that process.

To be fair, it is a kernel module not the kernel itself. Looking at the code the module could be patched by gl.inet and released or if your game you could patch it and compile the firmware yourself.

Thanks for your information, we will fix it in a later version.

1 Like