X3000 USB Power Camper

Hello, I need a USB 12 volt power cable for use in a motorhome, for my X3000, can anyone recommend one? I have one here on my old x750v2 but the cable doesn’t work properly!
Ursula

no one has an idea?:cry:

Its just a 5.5mm x 2.1mm barel adapter. The X3000 can accept a wide range of input voltages from 9v-36v so you can connect it to your RV’s 12v power supply.

I use this one for my X3000 in my travel trailer (no, I don’t use the included adapters), but anything similar with a 5.5x2.1 barrel adapter will work: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0925ZX7V3

Thanks for the answer, the stupid thing is that we need a USB plug because we don’t know anything about electricity, but we have a lot of USB sockets in the motorhome!

The Spitz AX is spec’d to use a maximum of 12 volts at 5 4 amps (60 30 watts).

A standard USB plug is 5 volts at 0.8 amps (4 watts), although most today (and what I’d expect to see installed in your camper) are 5 volts at 2.1 amps (10.5 watts). Unfortunately, even with an adapter with a step-up converter, you’re still restricted by that total wattage - which means that at 12 volts, the maxumum you could get out of a 10.5 watt USB plug is 0.875 volts (not accounting for loss, which will be an additional 10-15%), which isn’t enough to power the X3000. I’m sorry, but you’re not going to be able to power the X3000 from a USB outlet in your trailer.

You’re going to have to run a 12 volt line to your X3000. You may have to run a new line from your converter/12v-fusebox, or possibly be able to tie into a existing line (e.g. for 12v lights, or even the line going to your USB outlets) if it can supply the additional 5 2.5 amps.

The Mobile Internet Resource Center recently put out a video on setting up a tech cabinet which may provide some insight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pcJrmmJ8jg

-EDIT- According to the spec sheet. the X3000 pulls 2.5A at 12v. I had taken the 5A from the supplied charger. Although this halves the max wattage required by the router, its still far greater than a standard USB outlet can supply.

Thank you for the explanation, unfortunately the video is in English, I can’t speak English well enough to understand the video :sleepy: then I’ll probably have to ask an electrician if he can connect the router to me, that will be very expensive again

Hello, I just wanted to let you know briefly, I have now connected the X3000 directly to the motorhome (12v). To do this I had to cut off the cable of the 220v power supply. I really don’t find this very customer friendly, now I no longer have a power supply :disappointed:

Ok, but there are cables available on Amazon if you have that in your country. Also, any good electronic supply store sells a cable like this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09T2NCK3H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Important details:

• 5.5mm x 2.1mm DC power supply repair cable, plug to bare wire open end pigtail power cord.
  • This 5.5mm x 2.1mm DC power repair cord widely used for worn-out or broken power cable, such as wireless IP camera CCTV security camera surveillance standalone DVR LED low voltage application system etc.
  • Wiring diagram: Inner - Red wire; Outer - Black wire.

That’s right, but why doesn’t gl-inet include a cable in the scope of delivery? This is not a cheap device! I had to cut the cable because the electrician was there and I didn’t have anyone else there!

Compared to an enterprise device the X3000 is pretty cheap, to be honest.

Mentioning GL.iNET and enterprise or prosumers devices in the same sentence always brings a smile to my face. How you compare the two categories is a whole different question.

2 Likes

I did that purposely, as the use case would be attributed to an enterprise device rather than a consumer device.

“I’m installing a device on my boat/caravan/truck” is not “I’m plugging the router into the phone jack at home”.

My previous router was a Peplink which is usually regarded as an enterprise device. No included cut power cable.

Gl.inet tech support pointed me to the correct cable. I bought it and confirmed it works as promised.

I guess I am a lot more technical than @XXXLA since I thought to ask ahead of my purchase. I was also certified to work on sun 48 volt systems at one point. Sorry, but you CAN purchase the replacement cable and rewire your power adapter if you feel you need it.

1 Like