AdGuardHome on GL routers

I am very happy with this solution for B1300. Thank you ! :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks!

I’m trying it out now, seems to be working well. It’s blocked quite a bit of unnecessary traffic in just a few minutes.

I also notice that the web interface seems faster now, which is a welcome suprise.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m very happy too! AGH is the best solution for my b1300 for secure dns with NextDNS. Other ways not work correctly (incl. script for NextDNS :man_shrugging:) Now, my paranoia sleep well ))))

on my AR750 router stucks:

maybe i need to make a swap partition ? anyone tried?

I loaded this list and found it to be too large and eat up way too many processor resources on an ar750s. it could sometimes take up to 10 seconds for a dns lookup. anyone else getting the same results?

Bug?
Now: my b1300 AGH tab

and webconfig AGH

Feel the difference? )) What I do wrong?

Convexa-S has the VPN Policy bug where you can’t add domains with a “-” in them like gl-inet.com for example. This issue was resolved in v3.104 for Convexa-S but it seems like your v3.104 does not include the fixes.

/u/luochongjun

I’ve answered this question before.

It seems that your CPU usage is too high; mine is usually 5%

Refresh the page and get the same result?

This list takes up 8M of space.
As with your test results, DNS becomes very slow after I add this list.

so do i need to do 1gb swap?

Refresh, reload, reboot… same thing. Zero statistics is not problem for me. Just strange tab )

Configuration testing.
Hello, I have bought a AR300M-nand and installed adguardhome on it.
Version 3.104 with adguardhome v0.102.0-31-g9589-dirty
I have enabled DNS over TLS but how can I check if I configured everything alright and everthing is working like it should?
Thank You very kindly,

grtzz tom

There is no need for swap, which occupies a large amount of virtual memory due to the use of the GO language, which does not affect router performance.

Hey @luochongjun,

Have been travelling with the ar750s adguard version and have encountered some issues:

Firstly, when connecting the router to networks with captive portal logins, adguard home process adds a real “spanner in the works” to the process. Some captive portals manage to hijack the quad9 DNS correctly, but in many cases it is not possible to load the login page with the adguard home service active.

Is there any way for to set adguard DNS to just use upstream defaults dynamically as they are given from DHCP or from VPN?

For example: If I am connected to VPN I want adguard to automatically use the default DNS for the VPN (not quad9). If I am connecting to a open network with captive portal, I want the DNS to be the router of the open network so that any necessary redirections succeed.

Is there a catch-all solution here?

The alternative seems to either stop using adguard home, or to toggle it each time. At least with the VPN, you can set a VPN policy to ignore the URL of the login page so that you do not have to toggle VPN Everytime you must reconnect to network - which sometimes every 4 hours or so.

There is a second issue, unfortunately it is not so easy to pin down:

Sometimes, the admin page is not available from current stable chrome browser - even when using the IP address 192.168.8.1 instead of console.gl-inet.com, the page is ‘white’. I have found that when this happens it is most often when the WAN of the router is down (after a reboot perhaps). Also when this occurs, LuCi is accessible (though running super slowly) as well as SSH and the gl-inet mobile app.

To get around the issue, I can load up firefox (which will work), or somehow force a WAN connection (by connecting my tethering device for instance) to make the admin page load in chrome. Sometimes, when this issue occurs it provides me with the initial set-up screen (language and admin password) even though this is already set.

I thought it was VPN Killswitch function but it happens without it too. I thought it was VPN policies but it also happens without. I thought it was VPN but I think it has happened even when no VPN was connecting. THe common denominator seems to be when the WAN is stuck not connecting. It could be related to the adguard process, yet there should be no DNS issues when connecting directly to 192.168.8.1 and I have tested in incognito mode (which does not share DNS cache with regular mode).

So on this second issue, it is more a “stab in the dark”. Not really sure why or how this is happening. I cannot reporduce it 100% either.

If anyone could provide a solution to the first problem however, I would be most grateful!

1 Like

For the first issue, I wanted to add an option in AdGuardHome’s DNS Settings to follow the system DNS settings.
I had to change the source code and UI of AdGuardHome, and although I had already changed the authentication mechanism, but I didn’t want to make any more changes to it, or the next upgrade would be a hassle.

For the second issue, did you try to clear the browser cache?

1 Like

Hey thanks for the reply.

Regarding browser cache: yes definitely tried clearing cache and cookies as well as using incognito. As I said it’s very confusing because the problem disappears immediately once a successful WAN link is established. I cannot find the combination to reproduce it 100% either but it was happening a lot as I am in a situation with poor connectivity and using different public hotspots, so often the router boots up trying to reconnect to its previous networks but there is nothing available anymore. It is definitely a lack of WAN however because even if a network is connected but internet blocked by a VPN that is failing to connect I have seen the issue.

Back home (with great upstream network) I would only see this issue very very rarely.

Back to first issue:

Perhaps the nicer option would be a setting in the gl-inet firmware side that simply creates a forwarding rule for whatever DNS is set in the current adguard config. The setting would forward the adguard home DNS IP to the system DNS.

That way you don’t have any modifications to make to adguard home software when it needs to be updated so maintenance is not an issue.

From the gl-inet firmware adguard page, just have a toggle for “Use system DNS”. When this toggle is set, the router reads the DNS servers in adguard home config (eg: 9.9.9.9) and this sets a rule to forward those IP addresses to the system DNS. When you undo the toggle, then the forwarding rules are simply removed. I’m not a pro at this but it seems that you may find a more elegant and reliable option but it should be achievable and it has the benefit of not touching the adguard home software… what do you think?

In the mean time, I think I have found some static options that should work using custom adguard filters or multiple DNS servers in parallel (have to test though)… A truly dynamic solution would be much nicer IMO though.

EDIT: Maybe a button would be better than a toggle. Since a user can change the adguard DNS settings after the fact. A button to “Set rule to forward current AGH DNS to system DNS” and a sister button “Remove system DNS forwarding rules”

1 Like

hi all,
i had a problem with DNS rewrite.
AGH in the log correctly solved a internal IP resolution but the browser showed error message.
so i found the solution, disabling dnsmasq and making AGH in listening on port 53 and not more on 5353

why this? thanks

1 Like

I used port 3053 instead of port 53 because I needed to be compatible with DHCP and other DNS Settings
Can you describe your problem in detail?

I expose AGH portal on port 2000
My goal is to reach it with url adguard.home:2000

I did this DNS Rewrite:
adguard.home —> 192.168.8.100

In the log i correctly see the resolution, but browser showed an error page (about dns problem)
So i disabled dnsmasq service, changed the AGH listening port from 5353 to 53, and now able to reach AGH with URL adguard.home:2000

before this trick i was able to logon only with 192.168.8.100:2000

About you, why 3053 ??