Brume 2 having another Router

Hello, is it possible to use Brume 2 having already a default main Router? If so, what is the best way to do it to get the most out of Brume 2?

I currently have fiber optic…

Thank you.

There are potential uses for a Brume 2 or other router in addition to your main router (e.g. VPN client and/or server, AdGuardHome, file and/or media server, dual layer firewall, drop-in gateway, etc). What were your intentions when you bought the Brume 2?

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet.

Hello. If I use Brume 2 with my another Router, how should connect the Brume 2 to use it like a VPN Server + AdGuardHome?

Sounds interesting.

It depends somewhat on your existing network. The Brume 2 has only Ethernet LAN/WAN ports and does not have wifi. If you do NOT require wifi, then it is straightforward to add the Brume 2 behind your main router as a 2nd router layer, or you can bridge your main router so the Brume 2 acts as your main router.

If you require wifi that your main router currently provides, then the Brume 2 WAN port can be connected to a main router LAN port, then set up as a VPN server, but not with AdGuardHome at the same time:

For AdGuardHome, but not VPN server, the Brume 2 LAN port can be connected to a main router LAN port:

I have not personally used the Drop-In Gateway capability, but it may be able to do either and/or both functions. Maybe other forum members have experiences they can share.

Here is the GL.iNet documentation on the Brume 2 VPN and AdGuardHome functions:

https://docs.gl-inet.com/en/4/user_guide/gl-mt2500/hardware_info/

My idea is to get the most out of Brume 2. That is, to be able to use everything it has. So what would be the way to connect it to my main Router so I don’t lose any of the features that the Brume 2 offers?

Even if I have to sacrifice WiFi for it. Thanks.

Lets get some basic info here.

The Main router is what exactly? a 3 in one (Modem, router/switch, Wifi access point)?
How is the Internet Service Provider bring internet to the house?(physical cable, WiFi or cellular network)
What is running on the main router for Operating System?

I answer you:

1º) Yes, it’s a 3 in 1
2º) Physical Cable (Optic Fiber)
3º) A generic one from the company itself

If you are prepared to sacrifice wifi, then add the Brume 2 behind your main router with its WAN port connected to a main router LAN port, To set up the Brume 2, follow the GL.iNet documentation in the link I provided. All your LAN devices are to be attached to the Brume 2 and none on the ISP, except for the Brume 2.

By connecting it this way, I will be able to get 100% of the Brume 2 performance, right? I mean that I will be able to use all its features without any problems…

Thanks.

Yes, you should because the main router is not really doing much. For VPN server, port forwarding has to be set up the main router has to send incoming traffic to the Brume 2.

In my network, I have a non-GL.iNet router behind the ISP cable modem/router and I am happy with the way the setup works. I did not even bother bridging the ISP device, so I get 2 layers of firewall.

Another thing I have thought of is to use Brume 2 in front of my main router (I keep WiFi) and use Brume 2 as AdGuardHome only.

After I have it configured correctly, I can use a PortMaster + SPN instead of the Brume 2 VPN.

What do you think about this idea?

Yes, you can put the Brume 2 in front of the main router, since your ISP connection is not over coaxial cable like mine. For your fiber Internet connection, you have to fiddle with the VLAN configuration to work with the ONT, according to your ISP.

After you get connected to the Internet, you can try redeploying the main router as a wifi access point, but it all depends on its capabilities.

I do not know Portmaster + SPN and whether it is available on OpenWRT.

Yes, my Router is by Optical Fiber.

I have seen in that my main Router I can activate the ONT option, with which I could connect the Brume 2 as they indicate me, which is as follows:

- Connect the WAN port of the Brume 2 to the LAN port of the main Router.

I guess this would be the only way to connect the Brume 2, right? If so, would I still have WiFi?

Thanks.

I thought you had a separate ONT and router, which is what some people have for fiber Internet.

If the ONT and router are in one main device, then you cannot add the Brume 2 in front of it. When you connect the WAN port to the LAN port of that device, the Brume 2 will be behind it.

Yes, I have everything on the same Router. So…what is the performance I would get from the Brume 2 by connecting it that way?

I have tested the Brume 2 and a non-GL.iNet router behind my ISP cable model/router and I get the full speed of my cable Internet connection, which is 700Mbps download.

You can check if your ISP device can be bridged, which should eliminate any noticeable speed degradation.

I think you need to use the Drop-in Gateway feature.
When this feature is working, your clients can connect to the Wi-Fi and network ports of the main route, but they will forward traffic through the VPN on Brume2.

Please note that Drop-in Gateway in version 4.1 tends to cause instability in internet telephony, video conferencing, and online gaming. If this affects you, please upgrade to version 4.2.
On 4.2 beta, this feature is a little more difficult to set up. You will need to turn off DHCP on your main route, please follow the guidance on UI.

2 Likes

Connecting as you say (@yuxin.zou), I could use Brume 2 as VPN client + AdGuard Home, right?

In my case, and for my intended use, what is the difference between the Brume 2 and Flint? From what little I have read, both come with the same configuration options (VPN, AdGuard Home, Tor…), although the Flint comes with more LAN ports and has WiFi. The hardware of the Brume 2 is better too.

If I buy the Flint, I should also connect it in Drop-in Gateway mode? Obviously, I would like to use the Flint as VPN Server + AdGuard Home (and WiFi?). If I could use the Flint own WiFi it would surely be better than using my own router’s, I guess, right?

Thank you.

Yes, and it can be overridden to all client devices connected to your main router.

I think Brume2 is better suited to adding VPN and other features to your home network without replacing your main router. It has 8GB of storage space so you can also install more third party plugins. Flint, on the other hand, is better suited as your main router and it doesn’t require Drop-in Gateway mode.

Which one is better depends on your actual needs. There is no difference in VPN and AdGuard Home functionality between the two methods.
Brume2 as a Drop-in Gateway will increase latency slightly and is not recommended for gamers.
Flint does not currently have Mesh (seamless roaming) and is not specifically adapted for IPTV. if you don’t need them, you may consider using it as your main router.

Then yes, for me the most accurate product is the Brume 2. Now it only remains to buy it.

Off-Topic: Regarding fees/tariffs for Europe, do you know if DHL Express charges anything @yuxin.zou?

Thanks.