eSIM and GL-E750

Having it enabled with a software update and put a guide so that advance users can follow it will also help. You know almost everyone had moved to esim. Appreciate you positive response on it.

2 Likes

Hi,
I think I’m going to buy one of the 4G router and to be honest the eSim will be a big add since is going to be adopted by lot of phone carriers.
This is a suggestion.
By the way, new iPhone, 13 and 14 can also use two eSim simultaneously.
thanks

2 Likes

Ah, that’s a disappointing news. I was hoping maybe with a software update (ideally 4.2 update for Mudi?!), you guys can also add the support of eSim!
In Europe and the US, many carriers offer great online-only deals, and if you travel there you don’t have an address (or time!) so they can ship a sim card to you.
So eSim support is becoming a must-have feature.

P.s. is 4.2 update coming to Mudi anyway?

1 Like

Did some research. esim can be technically supported (need to modify hardware). So you can scan a QR code to write info to the router. This process is not as easy as you are using smartphone, which is generally certified by carriers. But as the popularity of esim, carrier will make it easier so this because more and more possible.

4.2 is coming to Mudi.

2 Likes

The activation code for eSIM can also be entered manually (keyboard or copy&paste), not just by scanning a QR code.

2 Likes

Thanks for further information.
From what I remember of activating eSim on my smart watch (Galaxy Watch), all I had to do was to input the EID (eSim ICCID) in my carrier’s page for IoT activations; And then my watch was paired and activated with my carrier. So, I didn’t even need any QR code.
I am thinking if a similar workaround would work on the router? The question is how to get the EID from the Quectel’s module of the router, because only IMEI is visible. There is a related topic discussed in this forum and whether it can be obtained by a simple AT command:

I think the rest is then different for different carriers. But in my case, it looks easy as the carrier allows to define and pair individual EID on the network for IoT devices.

Furthermore, if I remember correctly, when Galaxy Note 10 was released, it didn’t initially have support for eSim, but after a certain software update, Samsung added eSim’s support. So, it appeared that the hardware wasn’t causing limitations. But as you also mentioned, smartphones could be different.

1 Like

When I originally bought my Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G smartphone, it did not have eSIM support. After a subsequent automatic firmware update to Android 13 with One UI 5.0, the eSIM functionality appeared and I have now entered 2 eSIM services to use for travel.

A new eSIM service can be entered either by scanning the QR code, or manually entering the long activation code text string, as follows:

2 Likes

Let’s just hope a solution is made to get eSim to work.
I see more and more travel data roaming companies offer eSim-only plans (e.g., Ubigi, RoamFi, etc.), and eSim support is becoming more and more essential. And a 4g modem such as Mudi which is specifically designed and targeted for travelers, that will be a huge advantage.

True, eSIM/iSIM addon will boost the productivity of mudi and give more life to it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree, eSim is a really good add, in case is possible do that by software!
I have an iPhone and I use it with two eSim!

1 Like

I’ve been eyeing this router for a few months. eSIM would be a great addition. Sounds like eSIM is in the works? Would love to see it. I’ll definitely buy it if it gets eSIM capabilities.

1 Like

There are now a lot of “world-wide” smartphone models readily available with many bands that are unlocked and not tied to a specific carrier. FYI, since 2017 in Canada. carriers must unlock smartphones for free upon request and all newly purchased smartphones must already be unlocked.

For traveling, eSIM’s can be instantly purchased online without carrier certification and without going into a store, with money-back guarantees, which is what I have been doing. I expect that router smartphone apps will eventually be able to scan eSIM QR codes and send them directly to routers, without requiring scanning hardware on routers.

There is also https://esim.me/ that makes a programmable eSIM card for smartphones that do not have built-in eSIM capability. The eSIM card is programmed by the eSIM app on the smartphone . The neat trick is that, after being programmed, the eSIM card can be removed and inserted into another device, just like a standard SIM card and without reprogramming. I have an eSIM card and was able to program it in one smartphone and then use it in a second smartphone.

3 Likes

Just as another data point: Pixel phones from 4a support 1 esim in addition to the physical card.

In Portugal, the three main carriers require you to first activate a physical card, and then it can be converted into an esim. However, a Vodafone esim does not work in a Pixel phone. In fact, Vodafone says it only supports Samsung and IPhone esims.

1 Like