Feature Request Thread For Firmware v3

Yes, this should be the mechanism. But there are different portals, some use a local webpage, some use a remote web page and some use dns which cannot be resolved simply.

I think this is quite complicated to develop for different cases. But it is worth to try. We will do later.

Using wireshark it’s easy to check how different devices are doing. They do like i wrote you.
Local, Remote or DNS can all be detected like i wrote. You compare locally on the router the result.

Some devices:

• Android Captive Portal Detection

clients3.google.com

• Apple iPhone, iPad with iOS 6 Captive Portal Detection

gsp1.apple.com
    *.akamaitechnologies.com
    *.apple.com

• Apple iPhone, iPad with iOS 7, 8, 9 and recent versions of OS X

*.appleiphonecell.com
    *.apple.com
    www.itools.info
    www.ibook.info
    www.airport.us
    www.thinkdifferent.us
    *.apple.com.edgekey.net
    *.akamaiedge.net
    *.akamaitechnologies.com

• Windows

ipv6.msftncsi.com
    ipv6.msftncsi.com.edgesuite.net
    www.msftncsi.com
    www.msftncsi.com.edgesuite.net
    teredo.ipv6.microsoft.com
    teredo.ipv6.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

On the other hand, what is hard is to detect what is a portal, and what is a Man In The Middle Attack :stuck_out_tongue:

Having an exclusion list of network ranges and domain names for the VPN would be really nice. For example, being able to exclude services that detects a VPN (e.g. Netflix) and bypass VPN for those. It’s not particularly difficult to do with the route tables yourself, but having a UI and automation would make it a lot more usable for normal users.

Added to the list @zwoop

WIREGUARD IN GUI as LEDE instructions are too difficult even on current AR-750 although I managed to get it working it took me 2 days!!.
Please allow to work with MULLVAD WIREGUARD VPN
Thanks
Looking forward to this feature on AR-750 SLATE already pre-ordered!

It supports mullvad and azirevpn provider on ar750s.

I would like to have the VPN activation changing the led color of the router.
Then we know when is the VPN connected and when is not, so we can troubleshoot more easily. Like if it turns blue, VPN is on.

The reason is that I would like to have 2 network. One directly connected to the internet and the other one using VPN, so I can connect the chromecast and other devices that require breaking the geolocation filter.

Adblock doesnt seems to work.
I tried to install the package and no ads were blocked.

Connect to TOR network.
Aside the VPN, it would be nice if the router can connect to TOR. Sometimes VPNs are blocked by the network admin. Tor becomes an application level alternative.

Informative statistics and graphics.
LuCi statistic page is really bad and only available after a few clicks.
I would like to see those statistics directly in the mobile.

Speed test and network diagnose
It would be nice to have a preconfigured speed test application, one from the router to the station. Another from the router to the internet. Just to isolate wireless network and internet link issues.

Cache.
With a SDCard we have plenty of space for caching. Having to apt-get/yum packages many times in many machines is annoying. Optional caching with Squid or an alternative can help improving the users experience.

AR750, Beta 3.002:
My remarks:

Mainmenue:
German translation of “WIRELESS”: “DRAHTLOS” sounds better than “KABELLOS”

Mainmenue → Menue WIRELESS:

• Missing possibility to change the country. I know its available on advanced menue.
  • highlighting of ideal WiFi channels in green like 1/6/11in US and 1/5/9/11 in EU, will reduce collision and bring some user and neigber better WIFI speed
  • alphabetical of WiFi network, mean 2.4 GHz on top and 5 GHz as 2`nd

Mainmenue → More Settings → Custom DNS Server:

• Clouflare DNS: the used 1st and 2nd DNS server adress not shown
    Ideal will be a drope down menue with the 3 good known DNS over TLS server Cloudflare, Quad9 and clean browsing. See list on: DNS over TLS - Wikipedia
  • The Cloudlare DNS over TLS menue dont tell about its DNSSEC validatet or not
  • the menue from manual DNS server setting dont tell it will use DNS over TLS and DNSSEC validation if available on DNS server
  • great will be a button for enable/diable DNS over TLS and a button for enable/disable validation by DNSSEC
  • ideal will be a function on menue which check the function of DNS over TLS and DNSSEC validation and a menue item for diable internet connection if DNS are not TLS secured and DNSSEC validated (it can be like this is called kill switch)

Mainmenue → More Settings → Time Zone:

• Its looks like its not possible to configure 1st and 2nd NTP server on simple webinterface

Thanks @Henry_Bruns :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bypass Open VPN:
Possibility to configure by “regular expression”, some domains or pages which dont use VPN. P.e. all china domains and www.domainname.tld: [..cn], [*.domainname.tld]

Kill switch:

• deactivate internet connection if the VPN dont work.

Menue Item, for deactivating all IPV6 connections.

Kill switch already exists (= “force VPN”)
Disable IPV6 already in request list!

Hi,

Just got my 750S and it’s a nice bit of hardware. I like the new UI in comparison to the AR300M (which I have as well).

Here are my comment on the UI:

Initial setup
The password fields have “onpaste=return false”. This prevent people from generating a strong random password in a password manager and pasting it in. I don’t see the point of prevent pasting. Especially as it’s trivial to open the dev tools in the browser and delete that line.

wifi config
There doesn’t seem to be a way to set the Wifi encryption. I found I could use the advanced Lede UI to change it from WPA/WPA2 mixed, but this really should be exposed in the main UI.

Thanks again for great product!

@ttl0 for now you can change the wifi encryption using Luci.

@kyson-lok someone will be angry again haha :smiley: UI issue when pasting password.