Firmware V2.21, 2.22 Road warriors, WISP repeater auto connect

Re: V2.22 on MT300A

Hi,

The only way I found V2.22 working on my router is by keeping the settings that was set up on v2.20 then upgraded that way.

With a factory reset loading V2.22 – the modem will transmit its original ssid as normal but as soon as you log in and try to connect to a wifi (AP) the modem goes off and stays off. So, basically if you are travelling and try to connect to a wifi then you are stuck.

It’s definitely doing the same pattern, i.e modem goes off from V2.21 to the latest V2.22 firmware, as I’ve kept a V2.21 and tested it. Also, I thought I was doing something wrong I even went down to V2.19 and it works as it’s supposed to as V2.20. However, one good thing – by me upgrading the way I described above on v2.22 to be able to use the modem, I’ve noticed that connection stays on and didn’t at any point get any disconnection as I was getting constantly on V2.20.

Unfortunately I have had no success with any of the versions of 2.22 - I’ve factory reset using the reset button and/or the GLi UI before upgrading. I have also upgraded from 2.20 with settings saved and with settings cleared.

With the latest 2.22 the sdcard is found and displayed however I experience the same as Ben (with either settings saved or erased) - the modem will transmit its’ original ssid as normal but as soon as you log in and try to connect to a wifi (AP) the modem goes off.(and stays off with no way of switching it back on)

I’ve got two suggestions if you update the file please append a new file suffix eg a/bc so we all know which firmware we are evaluating and perhaps a little more testing before release. I’ve wasted a lot of time trying to get my device MT300A working on 2.22 which is a little frustrating !

Please keep trying to fix this problem as your product is excellent and deserves working firmware

@Ben and @pseudonoise, will investigate and send testing firmware asap.

I’m having the exact same experience as Ben and Pseudonoise. Id be happy to try test firmwares too.

Hi @ben, @pseudonoise and @Lupercal, please try testing firmware for MT series here.

Repeater manager optimized. Please let me know if it works for you.

http://www.gl-inet.com/firmware/testing/

Hi alzhao,

I have tested firmware v2.23-1 and I am afraid to report it’s not working for me.

As soon as I enter the credentials to connect to a WIFI then press enter to connect the modem goes off therefore no way of connecting to it again.

The only way to get the modem back on is via reset button to its factory settings.

@Ben, are you using any “modem” or do you mean something else?

@alzhao sorry by (modem) I meant the mt300a. Basically, using the mt300a as a repeater to connect to an available wifi/hotspot or my home wifi.

The mt300a goes off as soon as I click connect that is after entering the known password of the chosen wifi that I want to connect.

@Ben, this is so strange and I don’t have an idea why this happen in my mind.

Yes MT300A’s wifi should goes off as soon as you click connect but it should be able to come back some seconds later. If not quickly after 1 minutes it has to come back. The power LED should remain on always.

Can you check your power adapter if its specs is OK? At least 5V1A. Or can you change another power adapter and try?

If you cannot connect, when you press the reset button, does the middle LED start to flash once per second? After 3 seconds when it start flash quickly the network should be reset and AP should be enabled.

@alzhao

Yes MT300A’s wifi should goes off as soon as you click connect but it should be able to come back some seconds later. If not quickly after 1 minutes it has to come back. The power LED should remain on always.

The power LED remains on. However, the radio AP (one of the three lights 2 green 1 red) the red light switches on and off and then remains off. By connecting via Ethernet Lan port I can see the saved stations in the repeater connection. When I try to connect that way as well nothing happens. The red light stays off. I’ve even left it on for nearly an hour and it didn’t come back.

Can you check your power adapter if its specs is OK? At least 5V1A. Or can you change another power adapter and try?

I have tried few cables and power sources.

If you cannot connect, when you press the reset button, does the middle LED start to flash once per second? After 3 seconds when it start flash quickly the network should be reset and AP should be enabled.

Yes - The middle LED start to flash and the network is reset and AP is enable to factory default. And again back to square one as soon as you connect as a repeater to a wifi the AP light (MT300A) goes off and stays off.

Only way of getting back into it are via reset button or lan Ethernet. On 2.20 and below it works as it supposed to do. i.e red light stays on and never goes off.

I’ve also noticed when log in via Ethernet lan, in the settings next to the AP SSID slide stays off even when I tried to slide it to on it goes back to off after few seconds and stays off . Please see attached screenshots.

The other thing is in the saved stations if I click on connect the spiral logo keep turning and nothing happens as well.

My experience with 2.23-1 is identical to Ben’s. The moment I try to connect to a network, the AP(and red light) turns off and stays off. Factory resetting has the same results. Only reflashing 2.20 fixes it.

@Ben and @Lupercal, thanks for the test. In order to understand your problems, can you please give me some more details, when the router’s ap is down, and send to my email alzhao @ gl-inet.com including:

• content of /etc/config/network
  • content of /etc/config/wireless
  • content of /etc/config/ssids
  • content of /etc/rc.local
  • output of command 'ps'
You need ssh to the router using an Ethernet cable. Thanks very much!

with the help of @Ben, I found the problem. Which is related to vap in MT300N and MT300A. I will solve and send firmware asap.

Hi @ben and all users of MT300A and MT300N,

please try testing firmware v2.23-1 which fixed the repeater bug and also support MAC clone.

http://gl-inet.com/firmware/testing

@alzhao,

Any chance the bugs seen here also affect the AR300M? For a while 2.21-beta was working OK (reverted to that after not having much luck with 2.22) but I’m encountering many problems. The wifi access point turning off and on every few seconds, only being able to connect to the router via LAN access, not connecting to external wifi in WISP mode.

Even a factory reset does not seem to help. I’m going to flash 2.22 again and start clean to see if that works.

Is there any way to force a boot to NOR if NAND is buggy?
Thanks!

@alzhao,

I can confirm that firmware v2.23- is working spot on.

I am very impressed with your assistance. Your product is quality.

Cheers

Ben

@Ben, thanks very much for your help!

@LostDog, the problem only affect MT300A and MT300N and have 1/8 probability happening. But I do believe for AR series there are somethings to improve and we are doing right now.

If you want to boot into Nor flash, you can do as said here: Overview - GL.iNet Docs

Add this script to /etc/rc.local, in both Nor and Nand firmware

fw_setenv bootcount 3

Unfortunately I’m still having problems with 2.23-2 - for WISP mode it all works.

However if I then decide to cable connect to a router (DHCP) mode then I cannot connect wirelessly to the MT300A.

The WiFi red led lights but the output power of the Wifi switches between on and off (monitored using a WiFi monitoring App on android phone). I cannot connect to 192.168.8.1 wirelessly or use the MT300A as an wireless access point.

I had no such problems with 2.20 and the manual scripts.

I cannot get the use Custom DNS settings to work reliably.

Also a minor point but the OpenVPN tab does not show in mobile browsers.

Could someone else see if they can get DHCP to work instead of WISP with the newer firmware ?

We’re getting there !

network not auto connect on 2.22 ar300m am losing connection and i always need to press Connect in the saved list ,any help /

Having same issues with auto-reconnect, it just doesn’t connect.

Also, I like the way it auto connects to DHCP when an ethernet cable is connected but this only works when auto-reconnect is disconnected so would be good if I didn’t have to manually go to the GLI UI to disable auto-reconnect to get a wired connection.