Firmware V2.21, 2.22 Road warriors, WISP repeater auto connect

@alzhao,

Thanks for the info on how to boot into NOR. Just a suggestion… make an option for the switch on the router to select NAND or NOR. I never use the switch for anything and that could be a good use!

Thanks for all your help!

Hi! Is it possible in the next version of firmware to implement the auto-connect and auto-reconnect 4G modem? So I can recommend to buy this great router to buy for my friends, not versed in the intricacies of Linux?

@pseudonoise @theP, @wifird Heard you voices. Will fix asap.

@LostDog, this need to modify uboot, so when powered on it will decide which to boot. We will improve uboot.

@Ankern, we have shell script to do this job. However this is still not reliable. The main problems is that we don’t know which modem and carrier you are using. We will have this feature for public later.

Hi there,

I don’t think I got your email - could you please re-send. I’ll get back to you ASAP.

Regards

@ALL, please test firmware v2.23-3, you can download from GL.iNet download center

features of v2.23-3 

New features:
    1. multi-wan, if multiple wan is configured, the router will router via the following order: cable, repeate, tethering and modem
    2. PiVPN support, as PiVPN can have different configurations, we cannot ensure all ovpn files can be compatible
    3. Restart vpn when wan, wwan, modem or tethering interface reconnect
    4. Support pop up input window if private key passphrase is needed

bug fix:
    1. Fix DNS Leaks when using custom DNS
    2. Mobile UI app page
    3. Several bugs in repeater auto connection
    4. Upgrade from old V2.20 firmware

Hi,

I’ve flashed my MT300A to v2.23-3

First impressions are good.

WISP and cable connect to a router (DHCP) work.

Custom DNS now works.

The Open VPN app now shows in a mobile browser.

However , If you change from wired DHCP to WISP then it appears that you need to power cycle to ensure the change is detected and to make sure the VPN session restarts. If the connection drops and re-appears I’m not sure if the Open VPN process restarts

Could someone confirm which box needs to be ticked so that may router cannot be accessed remotely via the Internet (is in WAN access ?)

Thanks Alzhao for working on this.

Regards,

Pseudonoise

More problems MT300A on v2.23-3

Dear Alzhao

I’ve carried out more testing with v2.33-3.

In DHCP (cable attached to WAN) mode the output power of the MT300A Wifi Access point (AP) pulses on and off between -90 dBm to -50 dBm with the measuring receiver only 10 cm away.

If I de-select Auto Scan and Reconnect (Repeater Connection) in Internet status and then go to Wireless Status Main (2G) and make and save a change in settings (say change Channel number) - then the MT300A Wifi AP power stops pulsing and remains constant.

I haven’t seen this (yet) in WISP mode.

I’d be really grateful if you fix this bug.

thanks

Pseudonoise.

Further testing on 2.223-3

I can confirm that switching between saved Repeater Access station (automatically or manually) or plugging in an Ethernet cable to WAN (DHCP) does NOT result in the OpenVPN restarting as per

1. Restart vpn when wan, wwan, modem or tethering interface reconnect

If you change Wifi WISP provider or change to DHCP you will need to power the router off then on. This is OK as long as this the expected way it is supposed to work.

Also i can confirm that if you go from WISP to wired DHCP the router Wifi output pulses if I i then de-select Auto Scan and Reconnect (Repeater Connection) in Internet status and then go to Wireless Status Main (2G) and make and save a change in settings (say change Channel number) – then the MT300A Wifi AP power stops pulsing and remains constant.

It seems that the new firmware is OK on WISP but it gets confused if you then use a wired connection

Regards,

Pseudonoise

I tested the firmware 2.223-3 with my GL-MT300A.

Most works very smooth.

I found only two minor problems.

1. When the MT300A is connected to my router on LAN cable connection and together on Wifi WISP
    after disconnection the LAN cabel the wifi bridge don’t trnsport any bits from my router. No connection to internet.
    After disconnection of the wifi client and reconnection to my router the internet acces is back.
    The connection to the MT300A Wifi AP alltime is on and works.

1. When the MT300A is connected to my router on USB tethering connection and together on Wifi WISP
      after disconnection the tethering USB cabel the wifi bridge don’t trnsport any bits from my router. No connection to internet.
      After disconnection of the wifi client and reconnection to my router the internet acces is back.
      The connection to the MT300A Wifi AP alltime is on and works.

For me this are only small problems because I always have wifi connection and con reconnect the wifi client to my router.

During my test I don’t see any Wifi output pulses. The Wifi is always stable.

@alzhao: Because the switch is not in use, my suggestion is to add “on/off” for wifi to this switch BTN as factory setting in next firmware release ?

Regards

goddy99

Thank both for testing. Will test here and fix asap.

@goddy99, this switch is used to turn on/off wifi in version 2.20 and removed in later firmware. This only causes trouble and don’t add market.

@pseudonoise and @goddy99, I just update v2.23-4 for AR series but for MT series, because of vlan, multi-wan has problems. I need to investigate further.

Hi Alzhao,

Found v2.23-4 on the server and decided to flash it to my MT-300A.

This is the best release so far and it seems to fix most of the problems I’ve experineced with 2.23-3.

The problem with “pulsing” wifi radio output power seems to have gone and the system will find other WISP host APs automatically

Plugging in an active Ethernet Cable to the WAN port switches the router to DHCP but I have noticed that the OpenVPN client does not always restart cleanly - however if you change from DHCP to WISP (or vice versa) power supply cycling (on-off-on) of the MT-330A fixes the problem.

The DNS Leak issue also appears to have been fixed.

Thanks for the coding !

Pseudonoise

I have tested the MT-300A with the V2.23-6only a little bit.

I have tested the connection via my router which has internet connection.

I connected from WAN by LAN cable to my rourter and same time connected as wifi client to same router.
The MT-300A shows both ways were connected. But my router shows only LAN - WAN was connected.
OK - The internet works on this way.
After pulling the WAN-LAN cabel out, the MT-300A shows that the connection on LAN was lost.
It shows also that the Wifi-client connection to my router still remains.
Also my router shows now the wifi connection from MT-300A is connected.
Even also my PC shows that it has Internet connection.
But problem was that I could not get any byte via my router from the Internet.
After disconnetion of Wifi client and reconnection to my router the internet works fine and internet connection works.
What I have seen is, that my router gave both connectione (LAN and also Wifi) the same local IP address. This might be the problem. Both have in the MT-300A the same MAC address. Maybe that can be a problem.
For me it is not very typical to connect on both ways and so I think it is really not a problem and can solved by reconnecting the wifi to the my router. The wifi AP of MT-300A always was on, so that I never lost this connection to the MT-300A.

The same test with MT-300A has USB-Tethering via my smartphone (which is connected to my router by wifi) and together connecting MT-300A as wifi client to my router was no problem. The internet connection always switched over to usb-tethering or over to wifi-client depending what way was possible after disconnecting one of this two connection. In this test the USB-Tethering had another local IP then the wifi-client connection.

That was all I have tested.
I do not test any OpenVPN Connection and no other functionality.

Big thanks for continuing the development of the firmware !
Goddy99

Running v2.23-6 on a GL-AR150, and looking forward to trying the WISP repeater auto connect feature more widely. However uncovered a couple of issues if the GLI team could take a look? Thanks

1. On both "Repeater Connections "and “Saved Stations” the GUI is displaying the last 8 characters of the WPA2 password (key) in the clear as the SSID rather than the correct SSID (ie ESSID) text. The WISP is working and connecting correctly so far, and the data in /etc/config/wireless and /etc/config/ssids looks correct so this is possibly a display issue? The access point has a 63 character i.e maximum length WPA2 password.

2. WAN access was enabled by default on first startup after installing the 2.23-6 firmware. Suggest it would be more secure to be disabled by default?

@Wodger, thanks for reporting the bug. Why should “WAN” be disabled by default?

@alzhao Explaining a little more: an underlying design principle of any router or IoT “connected thing” is that it should be “secure by default”.

Otherwise loopholes are being left for an unwary, or innocent, product user. Following this principle both WAN access and automatic DDNS updating (see post Any security concerns? - Product Discussion - GL.iNet ) should be allowed to be enabled (as very useful features in certain use cases) but to be more secure should be disabled by default. Being secure by default means disabling unwanted services, not just relying on ports being closed in firewalls. This website http://routersecurity.org/ is devoted to the topic of router security good practice and might be informative.

Hi Guys

I have a AR300M on version 2.22. Trying to load the testing firmware, tried all 3 “openwrt300m*.*” firmware files via the web gui and they all fail, incompatible hardware. Any ideas what’s wrong?

Thanks

-Dave

@davidkierz

http://www.gl-inet.com/firmware/ar300m/nand/v1/

find the tar file

Hi,

On the latest testing firmware (2.23-7) on MT300A , I’ve noticed after few hours of OpenVPN being used, access to the internet get disconnected.

Thanks

Ben

@Rangerz

Happy to see you’ve tested this also. I’m going on the road in about two weeks. How’s this compare with the wifiMGR script that you’ve made available? I’m using that for now, and despite some annoyances at new locations, it seems to work OK.

Debating if I should mess with this before travel, or keep good enough alone. Your input is appreciated. I’m feel like I need a dev version and a prod version so I can test these types of things.