Flint 2 (GL-MT6000 ) - bug reports - collective thread

Yes -op24 is very good for me as well...I had switched to vanilla OpenWRT but decided to give -op24 a try when I saw it was running updated OpenWRT...Super happy with the way it runs (Even though it has a ton of remote stuff I don't care about)...I'm actually maintaining two builds now (-op24 and latest OpenWRT snapshot)...I'm currently running on -op24 because everything (for me) is running so smoothly and quickly.

Hey folks, I've decided to buy a flint 2. Even after reading the feedback here.

I need to replace the router functionality on my tplink router so I'm happy to run my flint 2 in AP mode for a few days to see how the WiFi is.

Can someone explain why it's difficult for the wifi to be good?

My current tplink router has this problem with Internet disconnects that keep happening and sometimes the router locks up. I've previously tried different firmwares including beta ones and even had the unit replaced to no avail.
I'm finally sick of having to turn it on and off.

Also for those who don't use the Wifi function but use the rest of the router including wireguard is there anything to watch out for? I need IP binding as well, not just IP reservations for DHCP. Is that possible?

I can just say that I never had big trouble with any of the Flint2.
Sometimes Wi-Fi isn't that fast, but for being a router 1 floor under my workplace, it's all good.

So mostly it highly depends on your needs and your wishes. If your internet speed is 500 Mbps and above, you might not be pleased so far, if it's below you will not even feel any differences. (As long as you don't want to transfer big data to your NAS by Wi-Fi for example)

Wi-Fi is a bad technology all in all. It's getting better and better, but it still sucks because it highly depends on many many factors. Like your end device, your walls, your router and even your country, bla bla bla. That's why it's often a mess. Some routers can handle Wi-Fi better, some worse. That depends on the price you want to spend. A real "enterprise-ready" Wi-Fi solution is far behind 1000 $.

What do you mean by that?

Thanks, sorry I meant IP & MAC Binding.

That's interesting about the wifi. I have 1000/115 and I can get quite high speeds with 160mhz wide channels. But for me shouldn't be a problem to use the flint 2 without the wireless stuff.

I still don't get what it is and what it is needed for, can you try to explain?

IP & MAC Binding, namely, ARP (Address Resolution Protocol) Binding, is used to bind network device's IP address to its MAC address. This will prevent ARP Spoofing and other ARP attacks by denying network access to a device with matching IP address in the Binding list, but unrecognized MAC address.

How to configure IP&MAC Binding Wi-Fi Routers (new logo) | TP-Link.

No, something like this isn't available in OpenWrt.
See IP-MAC Binding - #12 by _bernd - Feature Requests - OpenWrt Forum

1 Like

I have got to say that I have, so far, been quite disappointed by the instability of my Wireguard client connection (I try and be permenantly connected to Windscribe Wireguard). For me, this is by far the most important functionality of this router but it unfortunately could not keep the connection to wireguard for more than a few days at a time before VPN client needed to be restarted. Still hopefull that this might get resolved with the newer firmware releases.

1 Like

I would call this an issue with either Windscribe or your internet connection itself.
I am running Mullvad via WireGuard on my Flint2 since day one, without any disconnections or hiccups.

(That's not entirely true: There was 1 major outage ... because I forgot to renew my subscription. :joy: )

4 Likes

I really wish that was the case and I keep getting back and forth between the Flint2 and my Asus to see if the situation improves with every firmware but alas to no avail. No such problem with my Asus router I have had to revert to again and which can only lead me to believe that it is the fault with the GL.iNET system:

Hi. I just want to ask if someone mentioned a problem with WAN port speed. Maybe it is a known issue or I have to look on my side. Basically, It takes a few days when randomly my 1Gbps connection will be limited to 100Mbps. I mean speed via Wi-Fi. After I need to manually disconnect cable from WAN port to make it back to 1Gbps. No other manipulations are needed. After, I will get around 800Mbps via WI-FI.

I use PPPoE connection and firmware 4.5.8. I didn't try any other versions of the firmware. Currently, I don't use any features or VPN.

The only non default setting I have is that in Luci, in LAN interface I changed DHCP to my pi-hole instance.

I have a Flint 1 and it doesn't have this issue.

Edit: I also use 160 Mhz bandwidth

1 Like

Same story here. Flint2/Mulvad/Wireguard client. Great speed, great reliability.
Also running Wireguard server. No problems there either.
Anyone experiencing Wireguard/VPN problems should maybe check their provider and connection.

1 Like

No problems at all with this build on Surfshark VPN for me. I've never had a VPN issue on any of the
Flint2 firmware with Surfshark. I use Wireguard primarily but OpenVPN works as well without issue.

1 Like

I have the same problem. I replaced a Google Nest Router with the Flint 2. With the Nest router I get consistent 900/800Mbps from my 1Gbps connection. With the Flint 2 the upload is always cap at 150Mbps via WIFI and 300Mbps via Cat5e.

This issue happens with default firmware, latest stable, and v4.6 beta release. I even tested using my Nest Router again, and I get 700-800 Mbps consistent upload speeds, Flint 2 never goes above 300Mbps.

I just installed May 28 snapshot -> "openwrt-mt6000-4.6.0-0529-1716928659". Same issue, the upload speed is limited.

Hello,
When you say it's limited to 100Mbps, is this figure from a speed test or the ethernet link status on the admin page?

Can you install speedtest-go on the router, and when the issue happens, run this over ssh to get an indication of speed directly from the box?

What is your ISP? Are you using any VPNs / iCloud Private Relay?

for me, as soon as I update to -op24 version, vpn stops working (wireguard connects but no traffic from clients on the lan). I downgrade to 4.5.8 or 4.6.0 (beta 21.x based) and everything resumes normally

Did you upgrade with or without keeping settings?
Major upgrades should always handled with a reset of the settings.

1 Like

Hi. During speed tests, both Speedtest and Fast tests consistently show speeds in the range of 88-92Mbps, without any significant spikes. It doesn't reach higher numbers before dropping down. That why I think it is limited with 100Mbps.

I didn't find in plugins speedtest-go, instead I installed python3-speedtest-cli. I believe both use speedtest. For unknown reasons on router, this test shows really poor results. Maybe it is because of poor server selection. But still it shows like 400Mbps

I'm from Ukraine, I don't think that my ISP will tell you a story. I don't use VPN. I have only pi-hole. I have static IP not from NAT pool.

I don't use Network Acceleration. But when it enabled, I can reach 900Mbps via Wi-Fi.

Current speed tests

зображення

Really odd. Does the link speed change when the issue happens? Anything showing up in dmesg / syslog?

Edit : If you haven't already, maybe install collectd + contrack, cpu, interfaces plugins via Luci. This will give you more information,

In my case I have the speedtest-ui by LinuxServer running on a Rasp Pi4 connected via Cat6 to the Flint. It runs a speed test every 1hr. I disconnected the Flint and plugged the Nest Router last night and upload went back up to 900Mbps.