Flint 2 (GL-MT6000 ) - bug reports - collective thread

For debugging purposes, it’s totally valid! For a user interface, where the majority of the public will not interact or do not need this information, it only pollutes and overloads the interface!

1 Like

I always put myself in the shoes of my customer who chooses me and what I recommend him to buy… How do you tell him: Write “GREP”, do you have to explain everything to him in detail? Isn’t it better to have these “mistakes” correct in the bud and also having good community support stressing out your life 24/7 is a huge plus for you!! I’ll show you my ecosystem… FLINT2 master and two client zyxel ex5601t0, why did I choose this one? Why didn’t I buy another 5601? It’s simple, for me it is more convenient and fast to manage the settings I need from your good webgui, immediately and not wait to try, installing the packages on “naked” openwrt.

I would not recommend a GL product to someone who just needs some easy-to-use-out-of-the-box system. I would recommend it to people who want either great VPN routing or want to experiment with OpenWrt itself without the hassle to utilize luci for everything.

And as I wrote before: These are not mistakes. It’s just how a log works. It’s not an error-log, it’s an general log for all verbose commands.

1 Like

“I would recommend it to people who want either great VPN routing or want to experiment with OpenWrt itself without the hassle of using luci for everything.”

That’s precisely why we bought the MT6000 and it’s difficult to use it as main equipment! Precisely because it is recommended for people looking for the best possible design, this topic has already exceeded 1280 messages and the product is still not stable!

3 Likes

I believe that my problem may actually be different, as I went back to the previous beta (openwrt-mt6000-4.5.7-0228-1709124453.bin), and it returned to normal!

Error that constantly appears in the beta: (openwrt-mt6000-4.5.7-0301-1709277553.bin)

Tue Mar 5 14:25:35 2024 daemon.notice netifd: Interface ‘wan’ has link connectivity loss
Tue Mar 5 14:25:35 2024 daemon.err pppd[26136]: select (waitForPADO): Interrupted system call
Tue Mar 5 14:25:35 2024 daemon.warn pppd[26136]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Tue Mar 5 14:25:35 2024 daemon.err pppd[26136]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery
Tue Mar 5 14:25:35 2024 daemon.info pppd[26136]: Exit.
Tue Mar 5 14:25:35 2024 daemon.notice netifd: Interface ‘wan’ is now down
Tue Mar 5 14:25:35 2024 daemon.notice netifd: Interface ‘wan’ is disabled

2 Likes

Would you recommend it just for the VPN? I hope I misunderstood… Honestly, I usually recommend a renowned European brand since their register is detailed with 7 subsections… Ah… With this brand you create VPNs in 20 seconds without setting data by hand. If, as I do, I recommend a GLINET product, I recommend it for many aspects that other “BLASONED” brands do not allow you to do or have “poor” hardware.

Depends on your needs. My need is easy routing to Mullvad while excluding some services. My Flint2 is doing this job perfectly.

Of course you can use plain OpenWrt for it, but the GL GUI saves a lot of time in that case. And compared to other devices the Flint2 is pretty cheap. (A high end Fritz!Box is around 300 EUR, a LANCOM is more…)

I don’t need VPN from abroad to my home; I am using ZeroTier for it.

imo the hardware is great and great for the bang for the buck i’d all agree.

But for a advanced user depending heavily on more things, vlans, more advanced routing, iot wifi appliances.

the router as a main still make me lose a few hairs, because it is still too experimental hardware, maybe to good for in its time :wink:

but i will be so much happy once it stabilise, because it really is nice hardware :+1:

4 Likes

ok… we two don’t understand each other… we continue to wait for a real STABLE.

2 Likes

I agree with you… Current stable release - OpenWrt 23.05.2 and we are still in snapshots that they don’t understand and some of them think that the price difference… instead of the users’ needs…

1 Like

The situation is a little difficult :wink:, sure and i wish to see 23.05 release too.

But currently 2.5gb and mt7996 are highly experimental, the driver in OpenWrt is a self made one called MT76.

But the mediatek sdk one is closed source on a older version of OpenWrt.

and often vendor sdk also use kernel hacks to support one to another, currently im stalking OpenWrt repos alot to read conversations also for the bpi r4, alot of this hardware is still experimental wether it is the 2.5gb port, or the new wifi chip, or the combination of emmc and the driver utilisation from that type space.

So on the 23.05 snapshot wifi doesn’t work smooth on 2.4ghz at least not for me, but the mediatek does, but then there are other issues like the possible gl internal scripts regressions, because they have to make them work with the mediatek sdk.

So to overcome the situation in the most stable way towards a 23.05/MT75, they keep using mediatek until these issues are resolved from OpenWrt.

So you have to choose if you want to stay/or update to normal OpenWrt, or go with mediatek sdk versions until they may choose to go back, for one this option is more important, for the other the kernel is more important and the latest packages.

Edit

In my case i needed both, because i like a updated kernel as isp backbone which then segmentates vlans through my network, but on the other hand i also want stable wifi, the best solution i came up with is having a second router doing this, its still not what i wanted but currently both have ups and downs for me.

3 Likes

Can’t said better!
Not ideal but it works for me for the time being,

1 Like

Some moderators here talk beautifully, they try to give a position on the problems as if they were official representatives of the company, even though they don’t claim to be! You will understand this…

However, there’s no point trying to justify that the equipment is made for enthusiasts and therefore bugs are to be expected, because at this level, they really aren’t!

Yes, these are devices developed for enthusiasts. However, we did not receive this information at the time of your purchase, in your advertising, which does not contain this information clearly and objectively, that this level of problems was expected and should be acceptable!

So please, to the moderators who do not collaborate on anything directly, speak only what is necessary and moderate the topic, avoiding conflicts and helping users, and let these, who are customers who maintain the company’s operations, who purchased the products, make their reports of faults found so that the company can correct the problems. You are not the owners of the truth and there is a lack of humility when dealing with GL customers! The type of opinion that I see some “moderators” imposing here is of no help.

I’ve been following this topic daily since the moment it was opened, and I clearly notice a lot of acidity in some comments, even though I haven’t commented much here.

A big hug in everyone’s hearts

11 Likes

I’m with you. This product was not ready for prime time when released, at least for regular users. The product sheet doesn’t say “OpenWRT and network knowledge required and even so, may not work” .

I come from a Mikrotik router (hAP axˆ2) and wanted to ease my mind from configuration/settings and now I have to care about 4.5.6, 4.5.7, 23.05, snapshots, MTK drivers and whatever you want to include, browsing this forum everyday for a promise that may never come.

Don’t take it bad, I like this product, it has great features, I just hope the main problems get solved.

3 Likes

I will not have my mouth or my opinion banned just because I have moderator rights in the forum. I do this voluntarily and in my private time.

You have to understand that this has nothing to do with each other. And you will have to respect my opinion as an IT person - sorry about that. I won’t ban you just because your opinion doesn’t fit mine :wink: If you don’t like it, you are welcome to file an official complaint.

I am actually also of the opinion that I am not exclusively defending GL. I am just the opinion that the current situation won’t be getting better just because people complain. It‘s an technical issue, not an complaining one.

In the meantime we will wait for a new firmware version … that’s all we can do.

What I really don’t understand is that we are all adults. If we realize that a product doesn’t meet our requirements (be it because of false promises or bugs) then I try to complain once and if it turns out that nothing changes, then I draw the consequences and sell the product or return it.

In my opinion, we are currently at “it is clear that nothing will change in the very near future” - surely this should allow everyone to decide how to proceed? If you can wait, then you wait. If that’s not an option, you have to replace the device.

Do I believe that everything will run smoothly in a few days? Absolutely not, even if I hope so.

The Flint 2 is rock stable under OpenWRT snapshot but I don’t know what causes the router to freeze the connection or hang around until reload. Mostly using instagram causes this or trying to load TikTok comments. It’s on 5GHz wifi and I had the same problem under 4.5.6.

not to attack you or anything :wink:

but the issue is with the expectation it to be written as experimental which it does not on their site, and i think at the time present the devs also did not expected it to be such experimental, now wether im fan of it to write it now on their site, i don’t know if that makes sense.

if you look to the mediatek sdk its a world of difference in stability but the regressions are the only issue for now, but easier fixable than diagnosing open source drivers which are based/knock offs from the kernel hacks inside the patented closed source mediatek drivers, which they are also try to clean into better code, though the drivers are 100% non identical.

i think the device got to over estimated, also in the beta test we had used the mediatek sdk one, until it got sudden changed to latest OpenWrt snapshot which i think is a over estimated step with too much risk than expected, i also did not expected it to go this route.

Okay expecting a product to have some quircks and its tinkering fine, but not with these type of bugs around it or the issues, and if they report it the last they want is someone telling it’s normal, i was like this too in the beginning until i noticed the real issues with 2.4ghz.

^ imagine you got a new kitchen appliance, but to use it you need to require wifi, but wifi does not connect, you suspect the appliance to be broken, thats how my experience went and i think that example speaks also for the other people, it can be very furiating once it does not work :wink:, even as IT person that situation alone gives you a false sense of security and you almost throwed away the kitchen appliance, luckily i did not throwed it away cus my phone next to me had also issues connecting for a instruction manual :yum:

of course ive said this before the hardware is experimental, it is possible to know this beforehand like in my case due to my hobby with OpenWrt, but i also unexpected/over estimated this😉, but instead i have patience and arranged changes by using a other router for wireless, now my flint 2 is rocking solid with banip, and docker.

3 Likes

It really is very complicated… the equipment is not cheap considering its value and customs fees which we pay in our country to receive it. In fact, to put it bluntly, it cost more than a Netgear or similar purchased locally in my country.

Simply saying: you don’t like the exchange is not the correct answer to the problems.

In 25 years working in the IT area, it was the first time I purchased a product for my home with so many faults in its functioning.

I hope they really adjust it, but I’m already looking for other equipment with similar Dual Wan characteristics with 2.5 Gbps ports and Mesh network support. If anyone has any recommendations, you can send them to the test and I’d be extremely grateful.

4 Likes

Does it need OpenWrt?, or OEM firmware is fine?

I had my eyes on the Asus AX6000 tuf, its very identical as the flint 2 in hardware except the space, but this one looks also experimental i would suggest checking OpenWrt forums on this router what people say about it :+1:, i think the oem firmware should be fine.

Though for wifi 6 all devices for OpenWrt still has some issues or newer issues, for example i have a older redmi ax6s (managed to bypass the locked fw), but this router seems to also have wifi issues it didn’t had before even though people recommended this one as one of the most ‘stable’ wifi 6 devices next to the Belkin 3200 and Linksys E8450 devices, my dad runs also the same one and wifi hanged etcetera, upstream i read they may discuss a second u-boot due to space issues so i told my dad to wait.

So i guess to please check carefully if for OpenWrt purposes :+1:, also its not wrong to check openwrt github aswell to their pull request and issue tracker, im pretty sure there are some routers out there which work more stable on wifi 6.

Firmware Beta 4.5.7 (01/March/2024)

My thermostat is frequently going offline and I never noticed this problem before.