GL-MT300N on sale now

Two SSIDs is a great idea! Cant believe I didn’t think of this before, especially when I actually have 2 SSIDs configured anyway (one on internal radio, and one on USB). I need to figure out how to configure a separate DHCP range and firewall rules to avoid the tunnel for the non-tunnelled SSID. Hopefully its not as complex as I am imagining :slight_smile:

BTW I did not receive any docs with my MT300N. There was a little piece of paper in the box with the GL-iNet6416 but nothing with the MT300N. Not complaining (didnt read it anyway) - just thought I’d mention.

@Craig, sorry for the instructions. We put the wrong one. Contents are nearly the same.

Two ssid is not difficult. I can definitely help on this. You can have one more config in /etc/config/wireless, set it to LAN network, different ssid, difference password and it works!

You can configure the switch to turn it on or off.

Another way is to use the switch control the firewall rules. So you can have one ssid, two firewall rules.

Sounds great! May be we will get to a simplified set of OpenVPN GUI controls before long :slight_smile:

My OpenVPN config works fine - radio0 is wireless client and radio1 as AP with all traffic routed over VPN. I can add a second AP on radio1 with its own DHCP pool. If I put on the LAN Network all traffic goes over the VPN and if I put it in a new network I can only access the web gui with no routing to WAN or VPN.

I think I need to use a second routing table or something to fix this without breaking the current routing. This is probably a bit beyond my ability. I have my clunky reset button script to switch between Repeater and OpenVPN so I think I have what I need for now, but I’d love to see some sort of web wizard to configure a dual SSID VAP with one SSID routing direct to WAN and the other over the VPN. I’m sure it would be very popular.

Craig,

Would you might sharing your config (after deleting the proprietary stuff)?

Al,

I will echo Craig’s request for an enhancement to the web wizard. I participate in a road warrior forum where people are constantly struggling with OpenVPN and it could open up a new market for you!

Thanks.

I’m actually doing this on my GL-iNet6416, but the config should also work on my MT300N (with >45% faster CPU). I’ll probably do that this weekend if I have time.

Is there a sysupgrade backup of the original default MT300N config that can be downloaded somewhere? I can generate a uci script to make the required changes but I forgot to do a backup when I first got the device. I guess I can do a factory reset before configuring it if there isnt one for download.

you can try to type “sysupgrade” and it will give you help of how to use this command. I think backup of the config is “sysupgrade -b”

However, you can always download and reflash the firmware from our website: GL.iNet download center

For OpenVPN settings, some of our clients already made some good firmware for the OEM brand. I cannot publish their firmware here. But we are thinking to develop some simpler guide for OpenVPN, to make this service usable for all users.

I took the liberty of adding a few images and a bunchof information about the GPIO, the switch etc along with a boot log to the OpenWrt page.

Please take a look guys and see if there are any issues.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/gl-inet/gl.inet_gl-mt300n_v1

Today is hardware problem day. I was going to put together some example configs requested by unmesh59 but wifi speeds were awful - sometimes less than 1mbps and even without OpenVPN tunneling. After a lot of testing I can conclude:

1. In my area only channel#6 gives good speed on 2.4ghz. Channel 1 is very poor and channel 11 is unusable. It turns out my laptop uses a Broadcom wifi chipset that shares the same antenna for 2.4Ghz wifi and Bluetooth and it is awful at doing both at once. This is why I saw better speeds using the internal Atheros wifi for both client and AP than using a separate USB adapter for AP. The atheros was channel locking both client and AP to channel#6 while the USB adapter was using channel#11 and conflicting with my mouse. So no issue with GLi products, or OpenWRT, usb drivers, or USB adapter - issue is with my laptop.

2. USB tethering with my hotspot (ZTE Z915) works fine even using an unpowered hub, but tethering my Android smartphone would cause all sorts of issues. This turned out to be a power issue. When I plug in the phone the power draw was just too much as it uses power from USB to charge itself (no way to turn that off AFAIK). I finally figured out that it works (and is stable) if I plug it in before powering up the router.

Ive attached a script to configure MT300N stock config for simple repeater mode (radio0 is wireless-client, radio1 has 2x AP)

Hi, I have question on the MT300N. Can this board work simultanesouly in Host and Client modes? i.e I can provide host functionality to my wifi devices, and can connect to another wifi, and bring internet? I know a similar product (wrtnode) based on the same chipset can do this. This quite an interesting product for us, with the complete enclosure etc. Please provide your input. Appreciate

The answer is yes, this is OpenWrt functionality. Understand sharing of the single radio, that all these devices have, results in some issues and restrictions. All devices are similarly affected.

Both the WAN and the LAN side share the same radio channel.

When the configured WAN becomes unavailable the LAN will also be unavailable (standard functionality). Unavailable means the STAtion is status 0, and not in range or off. The WLAN will be in range, but not connect. You can connect via the LAN (Ethernet)

When a new WAN side is selected the LAN will go down and be reconfigured for channel to match the new WAN. You will probably need to reconnect your client (PC, tablet, phone, etc) to the LAN side.

While most GLI products have both a LAN and a WAN, on devices with a single Ethernet connection, it is NOT advisable to configure this as a WAN port because if the WAN (and LAN) are unavailable the Ethernet may be the only option to recover the device with out resetting it.

It’s not a problem if you understand these items.

There are some ways around this. See these posts for recovering from a lost AP.

404 Page not found - GL.iNet (configure to work on the reset button)

@hamid, thanks for the wiki page. The info you put are all good. I don’t have time to complete this though.

@Craig, so strange for these hardware problems. So WiFi and bluetooh interfere with each other? Or it is just a problem of your laptop. They should separate the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth antenna.

Craig,

So what is the performance improvement you’re seeing with two radios over one radio after working around the Bluetooth interference?

Quick ad-hoc benchmark for GL-iNet6416. MT300N isnt configured right now, but I would expect better Repeater numbers about the same and hopefully better OpenVPN numbers as I think this is CPU bound. Due to interference/congestion I get bad 2.4ghz speeds on all channels except channel#6 so I have both internal wifi and usb wifi repeating on channel 6 - so bandwidth split is expected.

Some speed GLi-Net6416 tests:

Laptop => 5Ghz wifi => ~65/65mbps [ not using GL-iNet router ]
Laptop => 2.4Ghz wifi => ~30/33mbps [ not using GL-iNet router ]
Laptop => 2.4Ghz wifi => Repeater => 2.4Ghz wifi => ~15/17mbps
Laptop => 2.4Ghz wifi => Repeater+OpenVPN => 2.4Ghz wifi => ~7.5/5mbps
Laptop => 2.4Ghz wifi => Repeater+OpenVPN => USB Tethered => ~7.5/5mbps

RT5370 works pretty good IMHO. I tried a few USB adapters with different chipsets (Realtek, Zydas, Prism) and most either didnt work or had unstable/poor throughput. Ont of the Realtek ones worked similar to the RT5370 but I cant remember which.

BTW one annoyance with USB wifi. If you plug it into a usb hub rather than directly into the usb port it creates a new radio depending on which port you use on the hub (uses different radio path in config). This is different from USB modems which always seem to be discovered as usb0 interface. I wonder if some sort of generic udev hotplug rule could create a /dev/wwan2 symlink for the path so that the config would work regardless of where its plugged in.

@alzhao,

Is this device expected to be supported on OpenWRT trunk like the AR150 anytime soon or will it continue to be on a fork?

@unmesh59, I will submit the patches to trunk. It will take a little time.

Thanks. It would be nice to be able to play with bleeding edge code sometimes.

ordered last week, can’t wait to play with ! :slight_smile:

Dear Team, please make in web interface

some buttons for activate/deactivate I/O ports , thank you !