GL-MV1000 (Brume) OpenWRT 22

Hi

I’ve been using my GL-MV1000 (Brume) for over a year and I am quite happy with it.

I’ve reviewed and recommended it in the Austrian nerd-space for using it as a simple QoS capable routing solution.

But I’ve also noticed the lack of firmware upgrades in that time, as we’re already at OpenWRT release 22.03 and the GL-Internet Firmware is still on 19.07.

I’m aware that I could abandon the GL.iNet Firmware and go OpenWRT only, but I’d like to keep the ‘supported’ and nice GUI and get a feeling how GL.iNet is handling relases.

Right now I’m not really impressed by the speed of Firmware releases and starting to doubt my recommendation in that way.

Is this on the scope if GL.iNet?
When will we see (officially supported) OpenWRT 21/22 based Firmware updates?

Cheers

6 Likes

No answer?

Seems for me like the focus is on selling the product, instead of support & software maintenance… what a shame :frowning:

At least it makes the impression when clicking on contact us => Business inquiry / Media relations / Influencer program …

So I basically see no real advantage in buying an GL product, instead of buying any OpenWRT supported router anymore

4 Likes

I can tell you that most of the R&D effort is on the firmware side. Trying to upgrade to openwrt 21.02 now.

I don’t agree with you.

But it is a shame that we cannot meet your expectations.

1 Like

Thanks for the response, seems like you need to get a little bit salty to get an answer here :wink:

Is there an expected timeline fpr the OpenWRT 21.02 update?

Maybe. I got a lot of questions. I always answer the easiest ones first.

We will upgrade products from May to end of this year. Some models will upgrade first.

See also this answer:

The firmware development for the Brume is not really satisfying for customers. I bought this device only because it belongs to the most powerful ones when it comes to transfer rates with wireguard. I am using two of them. One as server and one as client at different places.

1 Like

Will non-beta, production ready 3.212 firmware version release happen before the initial 4.x release? I would just like to have a working, production released version of GL iNet code for my AR750s. I would like something from GL iNet based on OpenWRT 19.06.8, 19.06.9 or 19.06.10 that is not beta and that does not hang or crash on my AR750s. I’m currently limping along on 3.212 beta 3. The hints you have given on the 4.x firmware sounds great, but it is already almost a year late and we need something stable for our routers now.

3.212 is out as stable.

We’re into June. So, hopefully some updates on openwrt 21. My Berly only lasts about 15 minutes before it dies of a kernel panic. :frowning:

Sat Jun 4 18:52:29 2022 kern.warn kernel: [17506.306701] ------------[ cut here ]------------
Sat Jun 4 18:52:29 2022 kern.warn kernel: [17506.311372] WARNING: CPU: 3 PID: 0 at net/sched/sch_generic.c:320 dev_watchdog+0x1ac/0x324
Sat Jun 4 18:52:29 2022 kern.info kernel: [17506.319624] NETDEV WATCHDOG: wwan0 (qmi_wwan): transmit queue 0 timed out

I just checked the web site and it says the GL-MV1000 is end of life and no longer in stock!

Curious why it was discontinued, I love the router and recommend it to everyone. Especially like that it’s offered in a wired only version.

2 Likes

Short answer: The chipset for Brume is not available now.

Long discussion: Products End of Life (EOL) Notice - #15 by oceanmasterza

2 Likes

Thank you. I’m interested to see what they roll out to replace the Brume, ideally something that offers a no wireless option and maintains about the same size and form factor. I started recommending the Brume to everyone now I’m searching for a substitute.

Out of curiosity, how do you use your brume?

1 Like

As an always on whole home/office VPN. Nothing leaves my networks over the clearnet.

1 Like

More likely a variant of the the Slate AX

I would also agree. Currently the same price (pre-order) as the Brume (no wifi) was at full price and better in almost every single way. The only features that the Brume have going for it over the Slate AX are smaller form factor, ability to dual boot Ubuntu, USB-C connection to pc… I think that’s about it. VPN speed is much faster with the Slate AX at 550Mbps Wireguard, 120Mbps OpenVPN speeds vs 280Mbps Wireguard, 97Mbps OpenVPN with the Brume.

@sethf @RevelRob @K3rn3l_Ku5h

MV1000 will be replaced by a new product, designed by a new chipset. Better vpn, wireguard and NAT speed. Hope cheaper and smaller as well.

1 Like

Wow. That’s great to hear alzhao! On the same topic, do you know if there may be any product that will replace the USB150? Thanks!

Sorry no info in this part.

1 Like

Is there still a chance for an update on 4.x?

1 Like