GL-MV1000 with AdGuard all clients show as localhost

Before using Adguard on Glinet routers, I have Adguard installed on Ubuntu. I have to get UDP Port 53 released for Adguard. So I would suggest dnsmasq to use ports other than UDP 53 when Adguard is enabled. Or, make Adguard service always enabled by factory-default. Let the user to Enable or Disable protection. @alzhao

2 Likes

Since AdGuard supports DNS and DHCP, would it be easier for Glinet routers just use AdGuard for DNS and DHCP by default?

2 Likes

That sounds like an easy solution for GL to implement!

@alzhao

By the way, is it possible to distinguish clients from WireGuard? I have set DNS in WireGuard to be 10.0.0.1

The correct way to solve this issue is to use adguard home for both dhcp and dns.

Unfortunately adguard home is not a good dhcp server on the router.

Can you elaborate on why adguard home is not a good dhcp server on the router? Is it because it doesn’t have the features that the router has or that it does not have the same performance or both?

It is mainly features. The router’s firmware has been deeply involving dnsmasq to deal with DNS and DHCP.

I have installed 2 Velica B2200 and use wireguard ovpn client on it. When activating adguard home “localhost 127.0.0.1” is the only client. The firewall - port forward-setting from [morcheba] didn’t change anything. Is there an easy solution? THX

It doesn’t seem like there is a reasonably functional solution to this problem yet and we are waiting on the GLINET developers to come up with something. But I have a functionality question…

Is there any way to create firewall rules with a GL-AX1800 running AdGaurd to omit a specific MAC or IP address from AdGaurd’s filters? I need some devices to get ads unfortunately.

For adguard home you can add a client under Settings > Client Settings > Add Client from there you can add or remove whatever lists you want. Client will need a static ip to use or you can add by mac address. You also may need to add a separate dns server such as 1.1.1.1

1 Like

Get a raspberry Pi and let AdGuard Home on the Pi handle DNS requests…

1 Like

This is my rock solid configuration…

I recently discovered this brand and bought two routers: GL-AX1800 and GL-AXT1800 (for traveling).

It’s kinda disappointing to see that (coming from pihole), adguard is unable to show any statistics about clients. I hope this can be fixed soon.

For the rest, thank you very much for the amazing devices you make :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here are some instructions. You need to reconfigure DNSmasq and you may break DHCP

That is modifying too many parameters that I don’t know in a router that works perfectly fine. In a new router I expect this behavior to just work out of the box.

Thank you very much for the instructions, but my message wasn’t pointing in that direction.

This is to modify dnsmasq you could also elect to not use DNSmasq and that would solve the problem. Could also use static assigned ip address and manual add clients into the adguard home GUI.

I have more than 60 devices connected (including all the lights of the house). I don’t see how that can be better option.

I’ll wait til the dev team improves this.

Were you previously running Pi-hole on a router (like Adguard Home on a GL.iNet router), or on a separate device (like Raspberry Pi)?

I do not work for and I am not directly associated with GL.iNet

I had it on a separate device (which makes it more difficult to handle, more space, cables, potential issues…).
It’s not a big deal to non have the info “by device”, or at least is better than having two different devices, but I used to take a look at the stats before, and more info about clients (and their attempt to reach some websites).
I hope this can be fixed somehow anytime in the future, it’s one of the reasons I bought the router (and as I bought the Slate AX for traveling too, I wish I could see that info too when I travel as well).

This solution ended up working for me.