GL-X3000 - Cellular connection issue

Hi. I really hope someone from Gl.inet support staff is looking into this. It would be nice to have this solved in some future fw update :slight_smile:

Have you upgraded the cellular modem firmware by chance?

I used these instructions, but manually downloaded the lastest firmware version from:

I had to adjust the commands for the different filename, but otherwise worked just fine. Rebooted the router at the end. Not sure if it will address your particular issue, though.

2 Likes

@packetmonkey Thanks for the suggestion. But the router is installed in a remote place, so for the moment I refrain from going down the route of upgrading the FW of the modem itself. Once I am close to my router I will certainly try this :).

This makes me wonder, can a router-fw upgrade also come with an automatic modem-fw upgrade? Or do I always have to upgrade the fw of the modem manually?

It has to be done manually - GL staff confirmed in another thread that the modem fw won’t get updated with the router’s fw updates.

2 Likes

Hi SpitzAX3000,

I did search for your AT commands manual but i didn’t find it, i search on your posts and also no success. can you please link it here, will be much apreciated.

Linked in the middle of this post.

Thank you, i’ve tried but without success, the problem i have is that my X3000 is working fine, but in a few hours of work, downgrade the 5g or 4g+ to 3d using WCDMA.
there is any at command that can solve this to not downgrade to 3g?

Did you upgrade the cellular modem firmware?

AT+QNWPREFCFG=“mode_pref”,NR5G:LTE

The above command will tell the modem to use only 5g an 4g bandwidth and will prevent the modem from dropping to 3G/WCDMA mode. However, I have personally seen my router completely lock up and not have ANY internet connection after many hours of use. I can only think that this might have something to do with carrier aggregation and the tower needing to send a handshake or something to the modem and is unable to because the 3g bandwidth is turned off. I’m probably wrong on this but usually a quick reboot solves the issue but then the router will need the above command sent to it again or it will default back to ALL bands becoming used again.

hello gainestr
Can you follow the operation on the picture and then test it? Maybe your sim card doesn’t support the 5G SA band

I have an unlimited business plan and its a regular phone SIM not a Home Internet plan. SIM is not restricted in any way. It connects to 5G SA Bands absolutely fine but after a few hours, it will drop down to a 5G NSA Band for some reason. It never re configures itself or switches back to 5G SA Band unless I reboot the modem. I am a little ways from the closest tower. My phone only shows 1 bar and sometimes drops to SOS mode dropping all cellular signal. The GL-X3000 shows 3 bars when connected to 5G SA Band and only 2 bars when it drops to 5G NSA band. I would think that the router should check for a stronger signal from time to time and reconfigure itself but apparently it does not do this and requires a reboot of the router to connect back to 5G SA Bands.

Can we try to choose only 5G SA band

I have enabled 5G SA only and will give it a try but it usually will simply lock up without any internet connection until I reboot. I’ll post back with results. Here are my setting via AT command so you can confirm that 5G SA only has been enabled.

Show Enabled Bands command - AT+QNWPREFCFG=“ue_capability_band” :
+QNWPREFCFG: “gw_band”,1:2:4:5:8:19
+QNWPREFCFG: “lte_band”,1:2:3:4:5:8:12:13:14:17:18:19:20:25:26:28:29:30:32:34:39:40:41:42:43:46:48:66:71
+QNWPREFCFG: “nsa_nr5g_band”,0
+QNWPREFCFG: “nr5g_band”,1:2:3:5:7:8:12:13:14:18:20:25:26:28:29:30:38:40:41:48:66:70:71:75:76:77:78:79
OK

Show Network Mode Command - AT+QNWPREFCFG=“mode_pref” :
+QNWPREFCFG: “mode_pref”,NR5G
OK

Show Network Acquisition command - AT+QNWPREFCFG=“rat_acq_order” :
+QNWPREFCFG: “rat_order_pref”,NR5G
OK

AT+QNWPREFCFG=“nr5g_disable_mode”,2
Disable 5G NSA

Came home from work and the router was completely turned off. Had to unplug and plug the router back in for it to turn on and reenable cellular connection.
Again, I always get booted off of 5G SA and forced onto 5G NSA bands after several hours. If I disable 5G NSA bands I loose all connectivity and apparently the router shuts itself off. A reboot puts me back on 5G SA bands.

Using 4.4.6 firmware

Is the time fixed when there is a problem?
Can you share your device with goodcloud? I will view this phenomenon remotely
Technical Support via GoodCloud.tar (192 KB)

Info sent to you via private message.

I can not tell if the time is fixed when there is a problem. It seems to happen at a random time as opposed to X hours. It’s something I will keep track of if I can. I disabled DNS / Cloudflare settings on the router and wondering if that is causing issues with my ISP when trying to renegotiate connection? Testing again today with DNS set to Automatic.
Edit: Router died again around 6 hours in. Drops all cellular and WiFi services. Rebooting and leaving all channels and bands enabled. Will check status again in 6 hours.

Yes the firmware is up to date. but alwayse is dowgrade the 5g or lte to 3G

I implemented the change to the /lib/functions/modem.sh as seen in this post:

Modem has not dropped 5G SA mode like it has in the past. Holding steady and I will check again in 12 hours.

Maybe you could try this, too?
图像