[howto] GL-X3000 GPS configuration guide

My GL-X3000 arrived this week, and I tried to configure its GPS capabilities, since the 5G model contains a pretty nice multi-constellation GPS receiver.

The use-case for this is to make the receiver available on the local network via the gpsd protocol, so that it can be used by navigation software/hardware if needed. Of course it is not meant to replace a dedicated high precision GPS, but rather as a backup in case the main GPS fails.

It was surprisingly easy to get it configured, so I thought I’d share the steps I took, I’m curious to learn if others thing it is useful (and a “Enable GPS” page on the admin UI would actually be super nice :slight_smile: )

Step 1: enable GPS on the 5G modem.

You can do this by sending manual commands on the admin page for the modem:

AT+QGPSCFG="autogps",1
AT+QGPS=1

This should turn on GPS autostart whenever the router reboots, as well as start GPS acquisition right away.

The GPS will start streaming NMEA sentences to /dev/mhi_LOOPBACK right away.

Step 2: install and configure gpsd

You can install gpsd via the Plugins page below “Applications”
Then, just ssh into the router and configure it:

uci set gpsd.core.device='/dev/mhi_LOOPBACK'
uci set gpsd.core.listen_globally='1'
uci set gpsd.core.enabled='1'

/etc/init.d/gpsd enable
/etc/init.d/gpsd start

That was all I had to do to get a gpsd server enabled on the router’s local network. I tested this with nav software and got a 3D fix almost immediately, even though I was testing from inside a house.

gpsd continued to work after a reboot as well.

Let me know if you think this is useful, and if there’s any chance this can be enabled in a future Admin panel option!

Extra credit:

You can also configure your GPS to output/use specific GNSS constellations (settings are saved in NVRAM):

# Enable Glonass, Galileo, Beidou NMEA sentence output
AT+QGPSCFG="glonassnmeatype",1
AT+QGPSCFG="galileonmeatype",1
AT+QGPSCFG="beidounmeatype",1

And you can enable/disable GNSS constellations using AT+QGPSCFG="gnssconfig":

• 0 is “only GPS”, 1 is “all on”, etc…
8 Likes

can you provide details of used antenna?

cheap GPS-Antenna doesn’t works

I am just using the stock antennas of the modem - the 5G antennas receive the GPS signal as well, you don’t have to use a dedicated GPS patch - I suspect using a patch antenna on the DIV/GNSS connector would not work at all.

it’s strange. Quectel mentions an gps-anntenna.

Have you tried with the stock antennas at all? What was your experience?

The RM520-GL has 4 antenna connectors that are shared between cellular and GNSS, and as far as I can tell, GPS performance is pretty good just using the standard antennas - receiving Glonass, Galileo and GPS fairly well when outside, or inside a wooden house…

got gps signal with standard antenna

1 Like

I agree it feels a bit weird, and I am not sure how it would work with an external mimo antenna either…

SMA interface “DIV/GNSS” is used to receive the 5G signal and GNSS signal.

If you want to use a Dome antenna, just ensure the antenna frequency can cover 600Mhz~6GHz, which GNSS frequency is included.

Please don’t connect the “DIV/GNSS” with single GPS antenna, because 5G signal must use all 4 antennas.

Thank you for confirming, @Tim-Zhang ! How difficult is it to find MIMO Dome antennas that can do this? Most of the types I know have a separate GPS cable/patch… I’m interested to hear if you have suggestions, thank you!

1 Like

Dome 5G antenna can support 600M~6GHz frequency, and this frequency covers the frequency for GPS using. Such Dome antenna can be used for X3000, just connecting four 5G antennas to X3000 SMA-connectors, and X3000 will receive both 5G and GPS signal.

1 Like

Thank you for that tutorial.
Is there a way to use the gps data for tracking information?
We use the Router in our RV and it would be nice to have an information about the location when we leave the RV. I mean for example send an sms or email every 1h with the gps output?
Or better to give a warning when the location is changing or missing.

Would be thankful for any suggestion :slight_smile:

feel free to check out my stuff

4 Likes

Super nice, thank you for sharing!

Thank you very much for this interesting guide!

I’ve try to test it, after perform “AT+QGPSCFG=“autogps”,1” the modem say “ok”, but after the “AT+QGPS=1” I get the “+CME ERROR: 504” message.

is here anyone to have the same observation and a solution?

Thank’s for this really best community!

Saho

1 Like

This is great stuff! I am wondering if it is possible to send GPS coordinates to a Traccar server?

I am using Traccar for some other GPS tracking and would love to implement my GLi router in to it.

I think that this would be a great addition to the Admin panel. +1

I get this same error however “i think” its because its already enabled. If you use “AT+QGPSEND” to stop the service and then “AT+QGPS=1” I got an OK both times. AT Commands came from QUECTEL Modem GPS Setup

I just updated to the latest version and had to reinstall “gpsd”, “gpsd-clients” and gpsd-utils". GPSD seems to run fine.

Its as though theres just no data coming from the GPS. I have an external antenna and 5G is working great. I’ll keep chasing but running out of steam…

So I finally got it working. I had connected a GPS antenna to the gnss SMA on the router when I should have connected another 5G antenna. I am using a Pepwave 40G and as soon as removed the GPS antenna cable and connected the remaining 5G antenna, the 5G signal improved and GPS started working. I hope this helps someone else.

This was very helpful. I used this info and wrote a quick script to send location info to a server running rsyslog every minute when the vehicle is moving or every five when stationary.

Thanks for posting your HOWTO!

How about using the Peplink Mobility 42G antenna???

Here is the freq. bands listed for all…

CELLULAR FREQUENCY BANDS:|
4.4dBi: 617-960MHz
7.8dBi: 1710-2700MHz
7.9d Bi: 3400-4200MHz
8.2dBi: 5000-6000MHz

WI-FI FREQUENCY BANDS:
5.0d Bi: 2400-2500MHz
7.5dBi: 5000-6000MHz

GPS FREQUENCY BANDS:|
0.5dBi@1575MHz
1.6dBi@1602MHz