MT300N-V2 won't find hotel WiFi networks

I recently obtained the MT300N-V2. It arrived with v2 firmware, and I promptly upgraded it to v3.012. It’s a very nice little product. It works fine at home - I was able to connect my iPhone to its WiFi, scan for local WiFi networks (there are about a dozen nearby), select one of mine, and join it. Everything worked as expected.

On the weekend, I traveled to Toronto and stayed in a downtown hotel - the Kimpton, which is part of the large IHG chain (Holiday Inn, Intercontinental, etc). Unfortunately, the MT300N did not work as expected. When scanning, it was unable to find the hotel’s WiFi networks. In fact, it failed to find many of the WiFi networks that were nearby. It’s behavior was very odd.

Using my iPhone, I scanned the WiFi environment, and it found lots of nearby networks. Some of them were 5GHz radios which the MT300N will not see. However, many were 2.4GHz radios. The hotel networks provided for guest access are Kimpton and IHG Connect. My IPhone was able to see both of them, and join them. But not the MT300N. The first time I clicked Scan, this is what it found:
AYAD, BELL515, Kimpton_Meeting.

I clicked SCAN again:
BELL515, Kimpton_Meeting, Rosenman

And again:
BELL515, Dolphins-284, Kimpton_Meeting

And again:
Daheim, Kimpton_Meeting, Rosenman

And again:
BELL515, Dolphins-284, Kimpton_Meeting, Rosenman, SUPER_SAIYAN

Every time I clicked Scan, a different set of networks would appear.
But what never appeared were the two hotel networks available for guests to join: Kimpton and IHG Connect .

My iPhone indicated that those two networks were unlocked and both had a solid 3-bar signal, stronger than the various networks that the MT-300N did find.

I had my MacBook Pro with me in the hotel. It is equipped with a WiFi scanner application which I used to scan the local WiFi environment. There were a great many 2.4GHz radios visible, well over a dozen. Like many large hotels, the Kimpton has many access points installed all over the property. The scanner found multiple instances of Kimpton and IHG Connect base stations, each with different BSSIDs. There were several operating at 2.4GHz and several at 5GHz. The WiFi scanner reveals that the hotel’s network is using Cisco Meraki base stations.

So my question: why does the MT300N not find the Kimpton or IHG Connect networks being broadcast by Meraki base stations? They were both operating on 2.4GHz and had strong signals, stronger than most of the networks that the scan did discover. There seems to be a bug in the GL-INET scanning algorithm that prevents discovery of these hotel networks, and others in the area.

One theory is that the MT300N WiFi driver gets confused when multiple SSIDs are being broadcast by individual Meraki base stations. Looking at the various SSIDs that the MT300N did find, note that Kimpton_Meeting network was always discovered every time it did a scan. This network is not joinable by guests. However, it is being broadcast by the same base stations that are broadcasting the beacons for Kimpton and IHG Connect. Perhaps the MT-300N finds the beacon for Kimpton_Meeting first, then goes down a rathole dealing with the multitude of other beacons coming from the Meraki base stations.

1 Like

This is a strange behaviour actually. I don’t have a clue.

Can you ssh to the router and search manually using the following command?

iwinfo ra0 scan

Yes - I can ssh in and do the scan using that command.
But I’m no longer in Toronto at the Kimpton hotel, so the results of the scan aren’t particular helpful. The scan I just did of my home environment shows 10 different cells - all three of my radios, and a variety of APs at neighbors. Judging by the BSSIDs, I don’t think that any of the SSIDs are virtual networks hosted on the same base station, as was the case at the hotel.

I wish I’d known about iwinfo ra0 scan last weekend.

Just experienced this same problem with a MT300N-V2. Multiple wifi access points in a Hotel were visible on both my phone and laptop, but missing when scanning within the router interface. Using iwinfo scan yields the same results. Firmware is 3.012

1 Like

@onnenon
Thanks for the report. Glad to see I’m not the only one with this issue.
I’m just about to head out on a trip, staying at 4 hotels over a couple of weeks. I was hoping to use the MT300N, but now I’m not counting on it.

FYI - I opened a formal bug on this defect in the GL-iNet Bug Tracker (ID196). It’s still in “New” status, and has not been assigned to anyone. Which is to say don’t expect it to be fixed by @alzhao or colleagues anytime soon.

No problem. Here is the output of nmcli dev wifi on my laptop running Fedora 30:

IN-USE  SSID                           MODE   CHAN  RATE        SIGNAL  BARS  SECURITY  
        AWN 409A-7                     Infra  1     130 Mbit/s  100     ▂▄▆█  --        
        --                             Infra  1     130 Mbit/s  100     ▂▄▆█  --        
*       --                             Infra  11    130 Mbit/s  100     ▂▄▆█  --        
*       AWN 409A-6                     Infra  11    130 Mbit/s  82      ▂▄▆█  --        
        AWN 409A-8                     Infra  6     130 Mbit/s  67      ▂▄▆_  --        
        --                             Infra  6     130 Mbit/s  65      ▂▄▆_  --        
        --                             Infra  1     130 Mbit/s  64      ▂▄▆_  --        
        AWN 409B-7                     Infra  11    130 Mbit/s  62      ▂▄▆_  --        
        --                             Infra  6     130 Mbit/s  59      ▂▄▆_  --        
        --                             Infra  6     130 Mbit/s  57      ▂▄▆_  --        
        AWN 409B-6                     Infra  1     130 Mbit/s  54      ▂▄__  --        
        --                             Infra  1     130 Mbit/s  50      ▂▄__  WPA2      
        --                             Infra  11    195 Mbit/s  50      ▂▄__  WPA2      
        --                             Infra  1     130 Mbit/s  49      ▂▄__  --        
        Helios                         Infra  11    195 Mbit/s  49      ▂▄__  WPA2      
        --                             Infra  6     130 Mbit/s  47      ▂▄__  WPA2      
        Sphinx                         Infra  11    195 Mbit/s  47      ▂▄__  WPA2      
        DIRECT-D8-HP ENVY 4520 series  Infra  11    65 Mbit/s   47      ▂▄__  WPA2      
        Sphinx                         Infra  6     130 Mbit/s  45      ▂▄__  WPA2      
        Helios                         Infra  6     130 Mbit/s  45      ▂▄__  WPA2      
        Helios                         Infra  1     195 Mbit/s  42      ▂▄__  WPA2      
        Sphinx                         Infra  1     130 Mbit/s  40      ▂▄__  WPA2      
        AWN 409B-8                     Infra  1     130 Mbit/s  40      ▂▄__  --        
        onn.sh                         Infra  8     270 Mbit/s  40      ▂▄__  WPA1 WPA2 
        --                             Infra  1     195 Mbit/s  39      ▂▄__  WPA2      
        --                             Infra  6     130 Mbit/s  39      ▂▄__  --        
        Sphinx                         Infra  1     195 Mbit/s  37      ▂▄__  WPA2      
        Helios                         Infra  1     130 Mbit/s  30      ▂___  WPA2      

And here is the output of iwinfo ra0 scan:

Cell 01 - Address: 46:D9:E7:C7:8B:E8
          ESSID: "Helios"
          Mode: Master  Channel: 1
          Signal: 26   Quality: 26/100
          Encryption: WPA2 PSK (AES-OCB)
          HT Capabilities: UNKNOW 

Cell 02 - Address: 78:8A:20:DD:A0:BACell 01 - Address: 46:D9:E7:C7:8B:E8

Cell 02 - Address: 78:8A:20:DD:A0:BA
          ESSID: "Sphinx"

Cell 03 - Address: 44:D9:E7:C7:8B:E8
          Signal: 23   Quality: 23/100

Cell 04 - Address: 7A:8A:20:DD:A0:BA

Cell 05 - Address: 46:D9:E7:C7:BD:EA
          Mode: Master  Channel: 6
          Signal: 39   Quality: 39/100

Cell 06 - Address: 44:D9:E7:C7:BD:EA
          Signal: 24   Quality: 24/100
          Encryption: WPA2 PSK (TKIP, AES-OCB)

Cell 07 - Address: 78:8A:20:DD:A0:21
          Mode: Master  Channel: 11
          Signal: 29   Quality: 29/100

Cell 08 - Address: 80:CE:62:DE:33:D9
          ESSID: "DIRECT-D8-HP ENVY 4520 series"
          Signal: 13   Quality: 13/100

Cell 09 - Address: 7A:8A:20:DD:A0:21

Cell 03 - Address: 44:D9:E7:C7:8B:E8
          Signal: 23   Quality: 23/100

Cell 04 - Address: 7A:8A:20:DD:A0:BA

Cell 05 - Address: 46:D9:E7:C7:BD:EA
          Signal: 39   Quality: 39/100

Cell 06 - Address: 44:D9:E7:C7:BD:EA
          Signal: 24   Quality: 24/100
          Encryption: WPA2 PSK (TKIP, AES-OCB)

Cell 07 - Address: 78:8A:20:DD:A0:21
          Signal: 29   Quality: 29/100

Cell 08 - Address: 80:CE:62:DE:33:D9
          ESSID: "DIRECT-D8-HP ENVY 4520 series"
          Signal: 13   Quality: 13/100

Cell 09 - Address: 7A:8A:20:DD:A0:21

The AWN wifi networks are the access points I am unable to see on the MT300N and would like to connect to.

1 Like

How curious.
Is there something unique/unusual about the various AWN networks? The name/numbering scheme (AWN409A-7/8/9 and AWN409B-6/7/8 indicates they are related somehow. Are they physically separate base stations, or a single base station broadcasting a number of SSIDs? I suspect the Kimpton hotel networks I couldn’t connect to were coming from shared Meraki basestations.

The results of the iwinfo scan are notable. Cells 05 and 06 have the same MAC (46:D9:E7:C7:BD:EA) but different SSIDs. Ditto for Cells 07 & 09. Your environment doesn’t look like a typical residential WiFi setup… I’m not at all familiar with iwinfo, but something about these multi-SSID WiFi environments is clearly messing up the WiFi driver. Something for GL-iNet experts to dig into.

The MAC are different. Check the initials, one is 44, one is 46.
The problem lies somewhere else and trying to understand.

Hi @kyphos

How many 2.4GHz SSID can you scan near the hotel?

MT300N-V2 uses the closed wireless driver, which is limited to scan 32 SSIDs, it sorts by channel. If there are more than 32 SSID, some cannot be scan.

Could you please ssh to the router, and execute this command?

iwpriv apcli0 set SiteSurvey=1
iwpriv apcli0 get_site_survey

Please show me all the result.

1 Like

Here you go.

root@GL-MT300N-V2:~# iwpriv apcli0 get_site_survey
apcli0    get_site_survey:
Ch  SSID                             LEN BSSID               Security               Siganl(%)W-Mode  ExtCH  NT
1                                    0   00:02:6f:fe:a8:fa   NONE                   57       11b/g/n NONE   In
1                                    0   8a:8a:20:dd:a0:ba   WPA2PSK/AES            31       11b/g/n NONE   In
1                                    0   56:d9:e7:c7:8b:e8   WPA2PSK/AES            39       11b/g/n NONE   In
1   Sphinx                           6   78:8a:20:dd:a0:ba   WPA2PSK/AES            29       11b/g/n NONE   In
1   Helios                           6   46:d9:e7:c7:8b:e8   WPA2PSK/AES            39       11b/g/n NONE   In
1                                    0   88:dc:96:00:a3:a8   NONE                   100      11b/g/n NONE   In
1   Helios                           6   7a:8a:20:dd:a0:ba   WPA2PSK/AES            26       11b/g/n NONE   In
1                                    0   00:02:6f:fe:a6:f2   NONE                   37       11b/g/n NONE   In
1   Sphinx                           6   44:d9:e7:c7:8b:e8   WPA2PSK/AES            37       11b/g/n NONE   In
1   Chromecast9541.v                 16  fa:8f:ca:31:78:99   NONE                   100      11b/g/n NONE   In
6                                    0   88:dc:96:0e:5c:92   NONE                   57       11b/g/n NONE   In
6   Helios                           6   46:d9:e7:c7:bd:ea   WPA2PSK/AES            37       11b/g/n NONE   In
6                                    0   00:02:6f:fe:a8:f0   NONE                   63       11b/g/n NONE   In
6                                    0   88:dc:96:0e:4b:f4   NONE                   68       11b/g/n NONE   In
6   Sphinx                           6   44:d9:e7:c7:bd:ea   WPA1PSKWPA2PSK/TKIPAES 37       11b/g/n NONE   In
6                                    0   56:d9:e7:c7:bd:ea   WPA2PSK/AES            24       11b/g/n NONE   In
11                                   0   88:dc:96:0e:55:04   NONE                   100      11b/g/n NONE   In
11                                   0   00:02:6f:fe:a8:f6   NONE                   60       11b/g/n NONE   In
11  Sphinx                           6   78:8a:20:dd:a0:21   WPA2PSK/AES            31       11b/g/n NONE   In
11                                   0   00:02:6f:fe:a8:ee   NONE                   24       11b/g/n NONE   In
11  Helios                           6   7a:8a:20:dd:a0:21   WPA2PSK/AES            31       11b/g/n NONE   In

You are quite correct. I was focusing on the last six characters, and missed the fact that the manufacturer codes were slightly different.

Unfortunately, the hotel is about 500 km away from me – the WiFi signals don’t travel that far so I can’t do a scan:-)

However, while I was at the hotel last month, I scanned the environment using WiFi Explorer on macOS. I would say there were about a dozen beacons at 2.4GHz. According to the MACs, perhaps half were from Meraki base stations which I assume were the hotel’s wireless infrastructure. The other half were various networks from the neighbourhood (outside the hotel).

Thanks for your information, it is very weird. Not sure what is happening, I will check it out. Dose all AWN are none encryption?

@onnenon
FYI - I received an email indicating that the bug that I opened (ID# 000196) has been closed and marked as “fixed”. If you go looking in the Bug Tracker, it seems to have vanished.

@kyson-lok
I’ll be on the road for the next few weeks, staying at a number of different hotels. I hope to use the MT300N to connect to my VPN. If it doesn’t find the hotel networks, I’ll try the scans you requested and report the results. If there is other info you’d like me to collect, let me know.

• iwinfo ra0 scan
  • iwpriv apcli0 get_site_survey

Correct, they are unsecure and each network is it’s own access point.

Just purchased a GL-AR750S. It detects all the networks fine, and works beautifully. This issue is isolated to the MT-300N-V2.

Thanks. We will research the problem on MT300N-v2. Also hope to get a review on AR750S on Amazon.

That’s good to hear. That means there’s hope for the MT-300N-V2.

@onnenon @kyphos Could you please tell me what’s the model of the uplink router? I need buy one to test.