Cannot uboot a new firmware to AR750S-EXT

hello, thanks,

when trying to uboot a new firmware, openwrt-ar750s-3.212-0407.img.
each time i try, i get the following error

UPDATE FAILED
Something went wrong during update
Probably you have chosen wrong file (too big or too small) or you were trying to update ART on device with unknown FLASH type (and size) which is not allowed. Please, try again or contact with the author of this modification. You can also get more information during update in U-Boot console.

so far i have tried.
— made sure the has checksum is correct
— rebooted 4 times, goto 192.168.1.1, try to flash firmware, each time uboot fails.
— tried to use flash the .tar file, that also does not.

“UPDATE FAILED
Something went wrong during update
Probably you have chosen wrong file (too big or too small) or you were trying to update ART on device with unknown FLASH type (and size) which is not allowed. Please, try again or contact with the author of this modification. You can also get more information during update in U-Boot console.”

i was able to factory reset using this guide
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/how-to-reset-to-default-settings/29040/20

sysupgrade -n openwrt-ar750s-3.212-0407.tar

The AR750S-EXT has had several issues with uboot, as there was some changes made along the way with both uboot and the firmware that sometimes requires that you have to step up to a new version of firmware. I have only had luck using uboot on my AR750S using firmware 3.104. From there I use the GUI to update first to 3.105 with the tar file, then to 3.2xx with the tar file . I have no clue on what will happen when the 4.x firmware finally is available.

Here is one recent post on how someone else finally got it to work:

There is a second known issue if you have an older version of the AR-750S-EXT where you can only get uboot to work with Windows. See:

It is very unfortunate that there has not been a clean and easy way to use uboot to update the AR750S firmware since the release of the 3.105 code.

2 Likes

thanks much for the info.

very frustrating, so many almost identical glinet routers, yet so slow to update firmware.

and this is not the first time, i had issues with glinet firmware.
i recently purchased an axt1800, found out it cannot run stock openwrt, and not supported at openwrt.org.
and given the slow glinet firmware updates, i would be 100% dependent on glinet.
so in the end, had to return the router.

1 Like

Why not using OpenWrt on the AR750S Slate? I run 22.03 flawless on it.

There is nothing wrong with using generic OpenWrt firmware, but if GL iNet is still supporting the router with new firmware it should at least be easy and straight forward to install this firmware on the AR750S.

1 Like

yes, agreed, that was my point

thanks, good to know