Proposal for next glinet travel router hardware:

• CPU: no matter, e.g. like in glinet 750 or 750S, which is cheaper
  • LAN: 1 GBit or 2.5 GBit, which is cheaper
  • Wifi: Slot with Wifi 6 card, e.g. 10€ Intel 200AX card

Proposal for next glinet MiFi router hardware:

• CPU: no matter, e.g. like in glinet 750 or 750S, which is cheaper
  • LAN: 1 GBit or 2.5 GBit, which is cheaper
  • Wifi: Slot with Wifi 6 card, e.g. 10€ Intel 200AX card
  • Slot for WWAN card, empty or with e.g. 10€ 4G card, exchangeable with 100€ 5G card

Seems this is not easy. I forwarded this to product managers.

1 Like

@alzhao, follow the short version for the glinet product manager:

• a slot on which the user can replace outdated wifi cards by a actual one like today a 10€ WiFi 6 card like Intel AX 200

Proposal for next glinet MiFi router hardware:

• a slot on which the user can replace outdated wifi cards by a actual one like today a 10€ WiFi 6 card like Intel AX 200
    • a slot on which the user can replace outdated WWAN cards by by a actual one like today a 10€ 4G card and in some month by a what ever € 5G WWAN card

The other hardware features are already ok as it is.

modular systems have never carried a small footprint, and you have to consider newer unknown hardware may require more power which can lead to excessive heat. sell used and upgrade or just slap a batterypack on an ar750s and plug your usb 4g dongle into it. why wait. if you need ethernet then your most likely not so mobile and footprint isn’t an issue. I’m all for an 802.11ax

I am not interested in footprints. Its a question of how to get in future actual hardware based tecnologys running in gli routers.

Actual are par example:

• Wifi 6 and not WiFi 4

“running in” very confusing and many unknowns

I am not seeing how being able to swap a lot of modules will make a lot of sense for these products. Especially travel routers need to be reasonable sized and low power to allow them to work long from battery power.
WiFi standards are backwards compatible and let’s be honest: None of the devices in GL inet’s productline are not really going for the AX11000 class like the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000.

Probably if you go looking, you will find routers with 2 or even 3 mini-pcie interfaces so you can indeed install your own wifi-chipset and wwan devices. But those are not aimed at what gl inet seems to focus on…

I completely agree. There are tons of brands focused on corporate and bleeding edge testing that have big bulky routers with swap-able modules. This is not really the idea behind GL-iNet. Routers should be as fast as possible, portable and using OpenWRT. They won’t run bleeding edge hardware that is not finalized, it will be mature hardware.

I’d love to see a unit that has 2.4 to pick up signal, wisp over 5ghz. Most of the time, I’m in the same room as my ar300m, but speed is much slower than direct connect to hotel WiFi. Similarly slow when I test at home with my Ar300m connected to my guest wifi.

@Henry_Bruns

For my usage cases with the Gl-iNet range, which is using a portable router while travelling, all the proposed flexibility and speed isn’t important to me. What’s important is a well supported, stable, small, portable unit. When travelling my normal usage is web browsing, email and a bit of video. The fact that my travel router doesn’t have the latest specs doesn’t worry my as even if I’m on holidays if my streaming video service (which is probably the most taxing usage) is HD rather than 4K isn’t an issue, heck if I’m on holidays SD will do :slight_smile: .

Actually case in point even not on holidays. I’m housesitting an old 1800s house , double brick construction, and my main B1300 router won’t even provide a good signal to a room about 15m away because of the 4 double brick walls it has to penetrate. I’ve just used my $28AUD Mango in WISP mode to boost the signal to my Android TV box to get a reliable signal. Android TV box is wired to the Mango and I should probably run in Extender mode rather than repeater but the technology in this cheap, stable box means running in repeater mode gives me 37Mb (on a base 50Mb connection) which is more than sufficient for my needs. To add all the technology you’ve suggested would give me marginal gain for the additional money I’d need to pay for a “specced up” device.

Adding the flexibility you’ve indicated adds complexity, heat, power consumption, size and cost. Of course depending on your usage YMMV :slight_smile:

@axebro
Mmm, aren’t you just describing the AR750 Creta, AR750s Slate or the new Mudi :slight_smile: